4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 3:32 AM by lastala

PremierePro CS6 does not interpret .R3D files properly

lastala Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem using NeatVideo plugin with PremierePro CS6. The plug-in produces unacceptable results when processing with "temporal filter radius" anything other than 0 - that means that the NV plug-in compares adjacent frames. However this phenomenon happens only if the clip on the PPro timeline has been edited shorter from the beginning. If the clip is unedited on the timeline, the plug-in produces good results.

I have the same plug-in in AfterEffects CS6, and it works always perfectly. (I work with MacPro OSX 10.7.5)

So, I spoke with NeatVideo technician, and he said this happens because PPro interprets the .R3D wrong way. He said for instance the following: "AE and Pr read the original file (.R3D) using different codecs and in some cases they produce different results (meaning provide different versions of the same original frame from the input file to the host application/plug-in) or produce no results at all. For example, if the plug-in asks the host application to provide an adjacent frame (not the current one that you see in preview, but a preceding or the next frame) to conduct temporal processing and the host application does not return a proper frame because of the buggy codec (some codecs are that buggy, we saw that before) then NV will get a bad adjacent frame or not get it at all and

so it will not be able to correctly process the current frame, which will result in a lower quality output."

So, I made experiments, and attached two examples (small details of a NeatVideo processed frame). The first (better one) is a properly processed frame (the clip was not cut or shortened on the timeline), and is the same quality I would get in AfterEffects.

detail NV processed whole clip.jpg

and the next one shows the bad quality result of the same frame (when the clip has been edited shorter on the timeline).

detail NV processed clip cut shorter.jpg

So, my conclusion is that PremierePro misinterprets the clip, looses the time reference when edited shorter from the beginning of the clip, and is not able to point the right adjacent frame(s) for NeatVideo plug-in, and therefore the plug-in produces bad results.

So, Adobe, please make a proper codec to interpret RED files (.R3D) properly in PremierePro.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: PremierePro CS6 does not interpret .R3D files properly
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Thanks for posting. Could I ask you to please file a bug report on this one? That way our engineering team will get the report and be able to act on it. Go here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks again!

• 2. Re: PremierePro CS6 does not interpret .R3D files properly
            SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

After Effects & Premiere Pro use the identical codec to import R3D files.

• 3. Re: PremierePro CS6 does not interpret .R3D files properly
              lastala Level 1

Hi Kevin, I will do the bug report.

Hi Steve, that probably is true. The NeatVideo plug-in in AE and PPro is also the same - at least the technician in NeatVideo claims that. So, then it must be PremierePro itself reading or interpreting the .R3D files incorrectly.

Remembering that NV plug-in asks the host application for adjacent frames, I made also an experiment (in PPro) with how much is cut from the beginning of the clip with the following results:

- as told before, if the clip is not shortened from the beginning, NV gives good results

- if I shorten the clip only one or two frames, the result is not much worse

- if I shorten the clip ten frames, the results are getting worse

- if I shorten the clip couple of seconds, the results are getting even worse

- the more I shorten the clip from the beginning, the worse results I get...

The clip I've tried has steady movement (the camera moves steadily in one direction). Therefore, I guess PPro gives different time references for the frame played and the adjacent frames NeatVideo plug-in is asking for. If the clip has been shortened on the timeline only a bit, then they still work quite well as references for NV to be used. And the more the clip has been shortened on the timeline, the less the "asked frames" work as a good comparison. It seems as if NV plug-in asks frames based on the length of the original clip, and PPro gives frames counted from the beginning of the edited clip on the timeline. Hence the bad quality.

• 4. Re: PremierePro CS6 does not interpret .R3D files properly
                lastala Level 1

Hello,

I made the bug report. Let's hope there will be a solution soon.

I was told that the bug (PPro not able to read or interpret properly .R3D files) is not limited to only .R3D files. Also other codecs have similar problems, although I have not experimented that myself.

So, it would be nice to hear experiences form other NeatVideo users in PremierePro.

I was also told a "solution" to this problem:

"Since the cause of the problem is known, a possible solution for now is also clear: do not cut the clips that use Neat Video (or any other filter that uses temporal API of Premiere. It is okay to use the beginning section of the cut clip, but not the section after the cut."

Well, what's the point of using PremierePro (or any editing software) if you can't make edits on the timeline!!!!