11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 8:45 AM by Ann Bens RSS

Capture device offline

bigvissie13 Community Member

Hello all,

I upgraded Premire with Creative Cloud (so now using CS6 instead of CS5) and since the upgrade capturing doesn't seem to work anymore. It says that the captureing device is offline. I use a Sony HVR-Z1 and firewire. It seems that the new version of Premiere is not liking my camera anymore.

Hope anyone knows how to solve this.

• 1. Re: Capture device offline
          Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Please read this document, all possible solutions are listed.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82848.html

• 2. Re: Capture device offline

Thanks for your quick response.

I read the document however it says to be troubleshooting for CS4, CS5 and CS5.5. The point is it was working in CS5 and since upgrading to CS6 it doesn't seem to recognize my device anymore. So I was wondering what has changed and if it possible that my camera is not compatible anymore...?

Do I have to upgrade my equipment as well?

• 3. Re: Capture device offline
              Ann Bens CommunityMVP

The document also applies to CS6.

Your camera is still compatible.

• 4. Re: Capture device offline

The problem seems to be solved. This is what i did:

First I shut down my computer. I disconnected the camera. Started up the computer, started up Premiere. Then I connected my camera and turned it on. I opened the capture screen and to my surprise ma capture device was not offline anymore.

Another problem occured. When capturing it gave the alwyas annoying 'unknown recording error'. After several restarts and disconnections and such i filled in the tape name and clip name and tried capturing again and... There it went.

It is still capturing as we speak and I am not quite sure what is going to happen with the next tape and after the next start up of Premiere.

I hope this is helpful to others with the same capturing issues.

• 5. Re: Capture device offline
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

Great news, and thank you for reporting.

Some cameras seem to need to have an exact order of things, to work properly with Capture. As there can be a few variables, when one order does not work properly, trying another order is a good thing.

While it is almost impossible to keep the preferred order straight, for every camera, it seems that some need for the program to be up and running, when they are powered on - others, need to be on, before at least the Capture module is activated.

Going back some years, Jim Simon did a list of the necessary order with each of his cameras, Pannies, IIRC, and I used to point to that, at least as a start, and then they could test variations, to see what worked for their camera.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Capture device offline

Thanks Bill, it seems like this is the order Premier prefers for the Sony HVR-Z1.

• 7. Re: Capture device offline
                      Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Make sure you do not attach your camera to the pc when the camera is set to on.

You are likely to blow out the firewire on the camera. Very expensive to get fixed.

• 8. Re: Capture device offline
                        JSS1138 Community Member

You are likely to blow out the firewire on the camera. Very expensive to get fixed.

That is incredibly unlikely to happen.  Most camera use a 4 pin connector, which doesn't carry power.  But even with power, FireWire was designed to be hot-pluggable.

• 9. Re: Capture device offline
                          Ann Bens CommunityMVP

Its a wellknown fact and I can mention a few camera owners that blew out their firewire that way.

You also need to connect the cable to the computer first and then to the camera.

Doing it the other way around may result in building up static electricity which the camera cant handle.

• 10. Re: Capture device offline
                            JSS1138 Community Member

I'd argue those people already had failing equipment - a camera, a cable, the port on the mobo, etc. - because this is just not "normal" or something that needs to be worried about.

• 11. Re: Capture device offline
                              Ann Bens CommunityMVP

You will find these remarks even in the manual of some camera's