2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2013 6:22 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

New ATI Catalyst Driver Uninstaller Available

Noel Carboni Community Member

For those of you who choose to uninstall your ATI Catalyst driver to drop back to an older revision, a brand new tool to help ensure it's done cleanly.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

I haven't tried it yet, as I'm on Catalyst 12.8 (again, already) but next set of drivers I try (and invariably have to revert-from) I will try it myself.

I've read on another forum that it works well enough but may blank out the screen for longer than you might expect.  The posters over there say don't panic - it does finish, and drops you back to your Windows-supplied driver.  Then you can install any version of Catalyst you like without worry that something has been left behind.

-Noel

• 1. Re: New ATI Catalyst Driver Uninstaller Available
          Silkrooster CommunityMVP

Have you seen the blue screen yet? Since I rolled back I haven't seen it, but I don't know if it is due to the roll back or because so many registry errors were fixed. Or both. or it just plain hasn't cropped up yet. And I hope it is not the latter.

• 2. Re: New ATI Catalyst Driver Uninstaller Available
            Noel Carboni Community Member

I haven't seen a blue screen in quite a long time, with any version of ATI drivers.  I think it was 2 months ago when I saw a single BSOD during testing of one of the 12.11 betas.

I tried this uninstaller last night as I had run across something called a "modded FirePro driver" that was touted to work on the Radeon HD cards.  I tried that and found it was functionally identical (including problems) to the Catalyst 12.10 drivers, which misreport the amount of graphics VRAM to Photoshop.

There just aren't good drivers yet from ATI.  I think they know it; we're not the only ones talking about it.

-Noel