13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2013 11:55 AM by Jeff Bellune

Please help choosing computer

Elizabethsol

I am working in Cinema 4D Broadcast, After Effects and Premier.

My company offered to buy me a new computer.

Lenovo

Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2603 (10M Cache, 1.80GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel QPI )

1st Memory DIMM: 8GB ECC PC3 1333MHZ RDIMM

2nd Memory DIMM: 8GB ECC PC3 1333MHZ RDIMM

First Video Adapter: NVIDIA Quadro 4000 (2GB Dual link DVI + DP+ Stereo 3D)

Is it good for all the stuff that I do?

P.S. I am really bad at choosing computers, don't know much about it so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth.

• 1. Re: Please help choosing computer
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 2. Re: Please help choosing computer
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Talk to the people at http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ and have your company buy from them

• 3. Re: Please help choosing computer
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Elizabeth,

You told us the applications, but not the source material. You did not tell whether you are editing SD DV, HDV, AVCHD, XDCAM, P2, DSLR or Red 4K material or other formats. That will decide whether these specs are OK, rather bad or utterly below practical minimum requirements.

Those CPU's are quad cores without hyperthreading and have a very slow clock speed. The memory is pretty slow, 1333 instead of 1600, it is ECC RDIMM as stated by you and that makes it even slower, and is limited is size. 16 GB is about bare minimum and for Cinema 4D and AE it is much better to go for 32 GB. The video card is marginal at best, it is several generations old, pretty slow and the only thing in its favor is its exalted price, that is from the sellers perspective. Equally important is the disk setup. That decides whether the system is just slow or terribly slow.

At best such a system is around 5-10 times slower than a fast system.

• 4. Re: Please help choosing computer
                Elizabethsol Level 1

Harm,

Thank you for your reply. We are editing HDV footage and creating some 3D graphics for news intros.

Also, I use to have an Imac :Processor  3.4 GHz Intel Core i7Memory  32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB

Will it be faster or slower then my old Imac?

• 5. Re: Please help choosing computer
                  Elizabethsol Level 1

Harm,

What video card and processor would you recommend? Do any Xeon processors offer hyper-threading? And how important is that?

Regarding the Quadro 4000, I know there is the 5000, but that is over a grand more...are there any other options? What would you recommend? Please let me know, and I appreciate your help!

• 6. Re: Please help choosing computer
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

HDV is a pretty easy codec to handle, so from that perspective the requirements for easy editing are not very high. In comparison to the IMac, I think they will be about equally fast. A single hyperthreaded CPU @ 3.4 versus 2 non-HT CPU's @ 1.8 will give you around the same performance. The additional L3 cache on the Xeons is a distinct advantage, but it is offset by the inter-CPU latencies. Also, the memory on the IMac is faster and better sized. Don't know about the Radeon card.

The Lenovo dual Xeon choice is IMO typical of a company that has chosen one supplier and sticks to them. Not the best choice (in terms of specs), but it is easy and they have probably negotiated a nice discount.

• 7. Re: Please help choosing computer
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Have a look at the following articles:

Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update...

and even though it is in a different category, Planning & Building a NLE System

• 8. Re: Please help choosing computer
                        Elizabethsol Level 1

If there is a PC company that you would recommend what would it be? I might be able to push them for a different supplier.

• 9. Re: Please help choosing computer
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

ADK Video Editing is the company to contact. Ask for Eric Bowen. He will make sure that you get a system that is completely tuned to your needs.

• 10. Re: Please help choosing computer
                            Jeff Bellune Level 5

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your duplicate topic.  You've gotten good advice in this topic.

Jeff

• 11. Re: Please help choosing computer
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Elizabethsol wrote:

If there is a PC company that you would recommend what would it be? I might be able to push them for a different supplier.

Did you completely miss what I wrote in the #2 reply?

• 12. Re: Please help choosing computer
                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

I am working in Cinema 4D Broadcast, After Effects and Premier.

My company offered to buy me a new computer.

Elizabeth,

Would your company consider getting a (Lenovo, Dell, HP or custom) computer from a specialty integrator rather than getting it directly from the vendor?  The reason to go that way is two-fold:

1. the system will be custom-configured for the applications you will be using, i.e. there won't be a situation where in 6 months you'll realize the computer is inadequate for the task and will have to get another one
                                2. professional support not just for the system but for the application as well

If you (or your company) prefer standardized Tier 1 systems with on-site support and that are familiar to most technicians, HP (Z420, Z820), Dell (T3600, T7600) and Lenovo (S30, D30) workstations are the way to go.  My company among others (B&H, Promax) sells and supports these.

If you or your company are OK with custom systems built out of COTS (commercial off-the-shelf, mostly gaming) components, then there is a wide choice of integrators including ADK mentioned previously, Puget, Safe Harbor.  Those are usually less expensive than Tier 1 based ones.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 13. Re: Please help choosing computer
                                  Jeff Bellune Level 5

I had to delete an unnecessarily aggressive post.  I don't want to lock this thread, but if things turn nasty I will lock it without hesitation.

Jeff

EDIT: A follow-on post that became irrelevant because of the earlier deletion has also been deleted.