5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 12:28 PM by George_Johnson

Digital Signature

hjames2

I'm using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.  After creating a Digital Signature in Securtity/Preferences I do not see it as a Digital ID in Security Settings.  Am I missing a step?

• 1. Re: Digital Signature
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In Preferences > Security you can set up a signature appearance. This is not the same as a digital ID, so it wouldn't show up there, but you should be able to select an appearance that you've set up when you sign a document.

• 2. Re: Digital Signature
            hjames2 Level 1

Thanks George.  I'm still not able to accomplish what I'm trying to do.  Can you help me with step by step instructions for placing a signature on a pdf document.  For example, I'd like to be able to sign a contract in pdf without having to print it out, signing it, then scanning it back as a pdf.

Thanks,

James

• 3. Re: Digital Signature

Do you need all that a digital signature can provide (e.g., authentication, nonrepudiation, data integrity) or do you just want an image/graphic of your hand-drawn signature? If the latter, what happens to the document after you add your signature appearance?

• 4. Re: Digital Signature
                hjames2 Level 1

Ideally, I'd prefer authentication, etc.  I've pasted an image of my signature and saved the result as a PDF, but the signature image is not fully integrated as part of the document. 

• 5. Re: Digital Signature

You can make a stamp out of the image of your signature and then flatten the stamp so it becomes part of the regular page contents. An easy way to do the latter is with the following free JavaScript-based tool: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

or you can use a Preflight fixup.

This doesn't provide any of the primary benefits of a digital signature. For that you can simply use a digital signature and use the appearance that you want when you sign.