As of yesterday, I'm having serious problems playing online videos with Flash Player. Almost every HD video (720p or 1080p) starts off buffering very slowly, and does not play at all until the entire video has been loaded. Then, a few minutes into the video, the video goes green, fast forwards to the end and makes crackling noises. Sometimes, it just crashes instead. If the video is less than those few minutes long, the green screen does not occur, but the very slow buffering and only playing once it is completely loaded still happens. The symptoms seem to be exactly the same as those described here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1074290?start=0&tstart=0.
I am using:
- Windows 8 x64
- Intel Core i7-3630QM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX
- Firefox 18.0.1
- Flash Player 11.5.502.146
The day before, everything worked just fine, and then yesterday the problem was suddenly there. The only thing that had happened during that time was the installation of some Windows updates (the automatic updates of November, December and January). The solution suggested here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4865912 does not apply, as I am not using Windows 7 and so I do not have those two updates installed.
Some of the things I tried, but did not work:
- Disabling hardware acceleration
- Clearing browser history and the Flash Player cache
- Updating drivers
- Uninstalling and reinstalling Flash Player
- Intalling an older version of Flash Player (there was no green screen, but instead the video got stuck at the point where the green screen would have shown up - apart from that the problems were exactly the same)
- Using a different browser (Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16466)
- Removing said Windows 8 updates (although there may of course be some very deep parts that cannot be removed that easily)
An example of a video that gives the green screen problem (when playing in HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIoSq51ylGo
Note that this example HTML5 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTl3U6aSd2w&html5=True runs as smooth as ever, while the non-HTML5 version of that same video has the buffering problem I mentioned (not the green screen problem, as this video is not long enough).
Also note that videos only containing music and a static image do not seem to have problems either (for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrFb1nsv47U), not even the buffering problem.
My laptop is only a week old, so I would really like this problem fixed and any help would be much appreciated.