10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 12:02 PM by LeBeauStudio

Can I Add another Computer Monitor?

LeBeauStudio

I have a MAC Pro with a Quadro 4000 video card.

Using PPro CS6

One port is used for my Apple 30inch display and the other is for my LCD monitor.

I would love to add another computer Apple display ( about a 24inch) , but the video card only has 2 outputs.

Can I add another in expensive video card for a secondaty Apple monitor? If so, what kind?

Thanks for your time.

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 3.03.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 1.37.23 PM.png

• 1. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Try a Quadro 4000.

• 2. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
            LeBeauStudio Level 1

I currently have one in there.  Do you mean add another?

• 4. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

What version of OSX are you using?

This is from a Hackintosh source but if you want to experiment you could try it.

"If you're running Mountain Lion with a 500 or 600 series card, the graphics should already work by default without any drivers, though you still need to install OpenCL Enabler if you want OpenCL. As always, these drivers are hit and miss. If you need CUDA support, there are some official CUDA drivers for Mac OS X as well"

• 5. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
                LeBeauStudio Level 1

I am running 10.8.2. I can't do any hackintoshing.... is that a word?  Anyway, I'm in a huge company with heavy I.T. involvemnet.  I don't think they would go for it.

Or do you mean put the standard card back in and run both cards?  Is that possible?

I wish I would of gotten the nvidia quadro k5000.  But that card isn't on the Adobe supported site for MACS, as of yet.

• 6. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Well with IT running the show it would be difficult to experiment.  I do have a Hackintosh running 10.8.2 with a GTX 660 and CUDA is enabled but it was not easy.

• 7. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

I wish I would of gotten the nvidia quadro k5000.  But that card isn't on the Adobe supported site for MACS, as of yet.

K5000 will work with Premiere Pro and other CS apps with minor modifications to Adobe config files.  I know it sounds scary in that same "hackintoshing" kinda way, but it's actually not: if Adobe wanted to lock down the choice of cards supporting GPU acceleration, it would have done it long ago.  The main reason for that list is limiting Adobe's liability and support headaches.  K5000 is the best Quadro for Mac Pro and CS6.  So if there's budget for K5000, that's the way to go.  (If it doesn't work, I'll buy it back from you and eat it in front of witnesses.)

If not, you could put a 2nd Quadro 4000 like Harm said or even a GT-120, and that should work as well.

• 8. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
                      LeBeauStudio Level 1

We are getting 3 more Mac Pro boxes.  I think they are going to put in the 5000 in those.  We may not have the money for me to get one right now.  I may have to wait till the fall.  I am ok with the 4000 for now.  Maybe they will end up getting me the 5000 later.  I just needed a stable computer.  And that 's what I got, compared to what I was working with before.

We may have and extra video card that could come out of my old box.  It was a Mac Pro 8 core, with a 500gb video dual dvi video card.  Not sure of the name, but I guess it was standard with the box when it came out a few years ago.  Do you think that would work as an addition to my new system?  BUt I dont want to start junking up me new computer.

The IT guy discovered that my old Kona 3 Card doesnt fit in my new Mac Pro. So that is why I am looking for a way to add another monitor.

Thanks for your help,

• 9. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
                        Alex - DV411 Level 2

We are getting 3 more Mac Pro boxes.  I think they are going to put in the 5000 in those.

Quadro K5000, not Quadro 5000, right? Two different cards.  We want the "K" version.

Do you think that would work as an addition to my new system?  BUt I dont want to start junking up me new computer.

It might, I've seen people putting an NVidia and an ATI card in a Mac Pro and happily staring at their four monitors.

The IT guy discovered that my old Kona 3 Card doesnt fit in my new Mac Pro. So that is why I am looking for a way to add another monitor.

Wait. What?  Kona 3 not fitting into a Mac Pro? First time I hear that. I want a picture!

Also: Kona 3 true video monitoring ain't the same thing as computer display monitoring. Kona 3 isn't a display card, it's video I/O card even though it can be used to drive a display monitor on a Mac Pro. Gives you the true video. Graphics cards don't. You may be perfectly fine with that, as a lot of people are in this dSLR age, just be aware that an extra graphics card isn't a direct replacement for Kona 3.

• 10. Re: Can I Add another Computer Monitor?
                          LeBeauStudio Level 1

I just threw in an extra NVidia video card in the Tower to power a second monitor to get me by.  Maybe I can get the K 5000 in a couple of months.

Thanks for your help