5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 9:25 AM by Szalam

Text explosion effect

StarGazer248

So I am wondering how to do this effect at 11 seconds in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaYVs1HPn2w&list=SP7268F0D90ADC9DF8&index=9 where the text explodes. It looks like block disolve, but when played, you do not get the explosion feel to it.  Any help is much apreciated.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Text explosion effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Can't see the video due to copyright restrictions, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Text explosion effect
            StarGazer248 Level 1

Ok well here is a screen shot of what I am talking about. It starts out normal, then it looks like it disolves a little bit, then there is an dissolve/explosion effect. Thanks

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 8.03.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 8.04.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 8.03.25 AM.png

• 3. Re: Text explosion effect
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are several ways you could do this. You could get something like this with CC Ball Action.

• 4. Re: Text explosion effect
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Could be a multitude of different effects. CC Ball Action is one as Szalam said, Scatterize another. Even Shatter with very tiny fragments would be appropriate. in any case, pretty bog standard AE stuff. The whole treatment looks very much like ripped from Video CoPilot's Blueprint text tutorial, anyway. Not sure if they have the scattering part in there, but it might be worth just looking it up...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Text explosion effect
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Scatterize is the effect I would have suggested first, but my AE machine was in the middle of a render so I couldn't check what it was called.

The scattering effect isn't in the Video Copilot tutorial. Probably due in part to the fact that its not appropriate with this style of graphics. In my opinion these graphics are poorly done. Granted, I can only see the still images you posted, but chalk/pencil/crayon shouldn't be glowing. Also, unless it's supposed to be chalk that's being blown away in the wind (not what it looks like in the stills you posted), then I would suggest not using this scattering effect with this particular design aesthetic. If you do want it to look like chalk being blown away by the wind, look up some of the text-to-sand tutorials out there.