8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2016 12:07 AM by Willi Adelberger

Remove bleeds from the gutter?

nataliemichele

I am trying to export a magazine for my company. This is the first time we are going to print and the printer needs the PDF to be single pages with .125 inch bleed EXCEPT in the gutter. So the bleed should be on 3 sides of each single page, but not on the inside where the pages are supposed to meet. How do I do this?

I am using InDesign CS5

Mac OSX 10.7.5

• 1. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Either go back to Document Setup and change the Inside Bleed to 0, then "Use Document Bleed Settings" inthe export dialog, or leave things alone and and set the inside bleed to 0 in the export dialog instead of using the document settings.

• 2. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?
            nataliemichele Level 1

I tried this and it DOES NOT take away the crop marks entirely, it just moves them to the edge of the print. It also still has the white border lining the gutter. Is there a way to remove the white border from the inside as well?

Also, the cover or first page of my document doesn't have a facing page but the crop marks aren't even all the way around. It's acting like one of the facing pages and cropping 3 sides instead of all 4 evenly. Is there a way to remove crop marks from the gutter of the facing pages but NOT the main cover?

• 3. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, the front cover is the right half of a facing page spread, withthe back cover being the other half. If you want to treat the covers differently from the corpus of the book you must use a separate file.

Second, if you include crop marks, they have to go someplace. Most impositon software will ignore them (the fall outside the bleed area) and will use the crop box that is defined. Have you showed this PDF to the printer?

• 4. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?
                manrepro

Hi Natalie,

In Acrobat, you can crop the pages, and there is a place to enact your cropping on all pages, all even pages and all odd pages, or juts single pages.

Viewing your document in Acrobat (not Reader), select the cropping tool and  get it close to what you want on one page visually and hit enter. That will bring up the Set Page Boxes dialog. There you can fine tune the location/dimensions of the cropping and then, on the lower right postion there is the spot to enact this on ALL page 9as opposed to just theone you are looking at) and also a place to apply this to all even and odd, all even or all odd pages.  So crop once for all odd pages, clippin gof the left side and oncefor all even pages from the right side.

that should do it.

Best

-David

• 5. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

You should not confuse bleed with crop marks. Crop mark are on every side, if activated, bleed only there where you assign it. But in most cases, a printer does not need crop marks. But this is a question you should ask the printer.

• 6. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?

I think, InDesign is so good in creating perfect PDFs that you can avoid any additional work in Acrobat for print production. Anyone should make a perfect PDF from InDesign and only check it in Acrobat.

And for someone who has problems to get the difference between crop marks and bleed I would never recommend to set boxes manually in Acrobat. This could cause more damage.

• 7. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?
                      philippanmei Level 4

To set up Guttur

1. From the Layout menu choose Margins and Columns

1.gif

2. From the dialog box set your desire Gutter

2.gif

To set up Bleeds

3. For the bleed, Go to File menu and choose Document setup or press Ctrl+Alt+P

3.gif

4. From the dialog box set your desire bleed (Top, Bottom, Inside, Outside)

4.gif

5. After set up all the these, Export your file to press quality

6. Before save the file an Export dialog box will appear Under the Marks and Bleeds uncheck all the box. Or you can set it up your desire marks and bleeds

Thanks

• 8. Re: Remove bleeds from the gutter?

No, not to press quality. Ask the printer for the PDF type he needs. For offset printing is the PDF/X-4 or -3 or -1a to be considered.