6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2013 1:13 PM by garethirwin1234

Relinking to folder question

garethirwin1234 Level 1

Hi everyone.

As a company we are transitioning to indesign for our documents. I have been the driving force behind this and have gigabites of terribly organised data. No seriously its all over the place.

Quite fairly the IT crew want a properaly strucured folder of all the date used as links for the files.

I have been organising this for a new set of template files and that works great,. But I have lots of very useful legacy stuff with their own link folders.

I want to put thos links in the newley created folder of relevant folders, for example food images into the folder folder, flower images into the flower folder.

Of course those indesign files will then have lost their links, can I just relink to the first level of a folder and it check in all the other folders? Theproblem for me is I don't think once it hits the companies dirves any links will ork as intended.

I guess I am asking for a work flow, its turning into more of a mare than I thought!

• 1. Re: Relinking to folder question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Instead of moving the links, use the Copy Links To Folder command in the Links panel menu to make copies of the existing links in the new locations and to relink to those new copies. You can then delete the old ones if you like.

• 2. Re: Relinking to folder question
            garethirwin1234 Level 1

Hi Peter, thanks for that.

I am aware of the moving links, however I would have to do them one at a time depending on what folder they will land up in.

What I planned to do was go into the links folder for the given document set to icon view in OSX large determin what kind of image they were and move to the appropriate folder in the new structure then point the document to the top level of that new folder structure.

Without trying it I am sure that indesign is unable to look more than a folder deep?

I don't suppose there are third party tools that would ease this pain is there?

• 3. Re: Relinking to folder question

There might be a scripting solution, but I think you better explain, or diagram, for us just waht this new folder structure looks like. Sounds like you are sorting links into different folders based on file type rather than having all links in one location for each document. Seems odd to me to do that, so if that's really true, what's the rationale?

• 4. Re: Relinking to folder question
                garethirwin1234 Level 1

Hi Peter.

the rationale is that frequently, i.e. very often the links are the same link. The consequence I have perhaps 200gigs of data that could reasonably be 20 if I had been more tidy in the first place.

The folder structure will be kinda simple once organised. It will be a 'master' folder of a kind, called for the sake of argument 'link files'

Within here will be 'photos', 'vector art', 'marketing' etc. Then within say photos will be 'cakes', 'bakery', 'salad' etc etc.

Out side of this entire folder strucutre will be other folders for the various documents and books in use, all linking to the master awesomeness.

The key issue is right now all them various documents and books, links to a multitude of link folders. It works for me, but won't work for the company moving forward.

• 5. Re: Relinking to folder question

OK, that's not an unreasonable approach (and makes some sense in a collaborative work group). I suspect it's going to be painful to implement though. You ought ask over in scripting, though if it's possible to point to the top level folder and search down through the subfolders.

• 6. Re: Relinking to folder question
                    garethirwin1234 Level 1

Thanks Peter, I will have a think about what I need to achieve before asking script guys, they might rip me a new A hole.