Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp in RoboHelp 10 - Books are not opening in the published files

Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Projects that were published in RoboHelp 9 using WebHelp have not been working properly since upgrading to a 64 bit laptop.  The published project opens fine and the first book will expand but will not collapse.  No other books within the project will expand or collapse.  Any topics not nestles into a book will display properly.  Since then I have upgrade to Technical Communication Suite 4 and am using RoboHelp 10.0.0287 with the same results.  I am using Windows Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.6385.  Projects published in FlashHelp in RoboHelp 9 and 10 have had no issues.  Can you tell me how to resolve the issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2013 Jan 29, 2013

Hello-

My client started experiencing probelms with the TOC after a google frame plug in was intalled with IE8.  From an earlier post (about a year ago) I found a similar issue thanks to a very kind commenter here.  Although the exact same fix didn't work,  something similar did. The error seemed to be related to the fact that when the script recogized Google Frame, it was trying to launch Safari. Obvously IE8 did not like that. This fix worked for us:

Edit whver.js in the root of your project 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Is this happening when you test locally or after you publish things to a server?

If it's only happening when testing locally, try configuring IE so that it allows active content to run.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

This is happening both locally and on a server.

When I test locally, I do get an Active X block as seen below.activeX.png 

However, when I select Allow Blocked Content, the Beautiful Vista skin appears and I can expand the first book.  Everything within the first book works as it should.  However, I cannot collapse the first book once it is open, nor can I open any subsequent books.blocked content.png

When I test on the web sever, the skin and TOC appears.  I do not get an Active X block messsage, but the results are the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thank you for your reply.  The project works if I view it in IE (64bit), but does not work in IE (32 bit) even when I changed the setting to allow active content.  Is there something I can do so it works in both?

I will also check the discussion page for more information.

Thank you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jane and welcome to the Forums

A client company I am working with is experiencing something very similar to your situation and I've never seen it before. I don't have a ready answer, but so far, there seems to be a connection to the "Compatibility View" of Internet Explorer (though this has not fixed the problem totally). The trouble is that the "stuck TOC" is not experienced by everyone in the company. Yet, they are all on Windows XP, IE 8 32-bit  (same version). Some end users see the problem, some don't??? (...hate it when that happens...)

BTW, Rick, this glitch occurs whether viewing "locally" through View Results or delivered by a web server. As if that's not enough, the TOC works nicely with Chrome and Firefox, but not IE! So I'm looking to IE as the culprit and I'm also wondering if it was set off by some Windows Update?

I will pass along any fixes I find, but meanwhile, can you experiment to see if Chrome or Firefox behave OK (assuming you have these browsers). Also, Jane, do you get any error messages in the Status Bar of IE as shown in the screenshot below?

BrowserErrorReport.jpg

Thanks

John

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the insights, John

I recently facilitated a RoboHelp class and we were attempting to coax some DHTML to work. It failed miserably with the typical Mark Of The Web enabled that has worked in the past. But obviously something has changed because it failed until we disabled MOTW and instead relaxed the browser security settings.

I can see this having a similar effect on the TOC as it is usually rendered using DHTML.

Very puzzling. Not that much unlike the CDC encountering a new strain of "Super Bug", eh?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one having this issue.  I am sorry to hear your client is having this issue.

Yes, I do get the same error message as you do.  On the same line and Character.error.png

The IT group has tested this issue on Firefox and the project works properly.  They are going to test Google Chrome tomorrow.  I will post their findings as well and pass along any other information.

Thank you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello-

My client started experiencing probelms with the TOC after a google frame plug in was intalled with IE8.  From an earlier post (about a year ago) I found a similar issue thanks to a very kind commenter here.  Although the exact same fix didn't work,  something similar did. The error seemed to be related to the fact that when the script recogized Google Frame, it was trying to launch Safari. Obvously IE8 did not like that. This fix worked for us:

Edit whver.js in the root of your project  ( also edit any variations you have. For some reason we had several- for example: whver_nc.js)

In around line 27 just before  var gbAIRSSL= false;) 

add:  var gbChromeFrame = (gAgent.indexOf('chromeframe')!=-1);

then at around line 125 add  (just before var gbWhVer=true;)

if(gbChromeFrame)

{

gbSafari = false ;

gbSafari3=false;

}

I hope this works for you or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When we removed the plug in for Google Chrome, everything worked correctly.  We added the plug in back and edited the whver.js file as stated above.  Everything works correctly on a local drive and on a server.

Thank you very much for your help and information.

Regards,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear, Jane.

Thanks to you and sRankin99 for the feedback and followup! It will help others who come this way. I will report this to Adobe engineers to see if it can be addressed in an update or the next release.
John

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hurrah! I'm so happy to hear that worked for you Jane. 

Thanks

Shannon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After adding the whver.js changes mentioned, at first the Web page displays. After clicking on Allow Blocked Content nothing is displayed. Any suggestions?

RH9 and IE10 on Win7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, nothing like that happened with us. We always got the initial page, but then none of the books would open. Single topics would open as well. The code SRankin99 provided corrected the issue. Sorry, I’m not any help.

Regards,

Jane Yip

512-419-5080

Jane.yip@urs.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I am having an issue with the TOC, Search and Glossary not being displayed at all on IE10 using Windows 2012. We have compiled our help using Robohelp 10 (Tech Comms Suite 4) and have already applied a header fix (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1129606?start=40&tstart=0 comment 41) to address one issue with IE10  which appears to be working for every other OS.......has anyone experienced this? will the fix mentioned on the thread fix our issue?? Apologies if I have posted incorrectly and am a new, newbie to these forums. Thanks for your help.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp