2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 8:44 AM by leah r heiser

How do I make an existing object, with multiple layers, a 3D object?

leah r heiser

Basically, I have a logo that I am working with and I need to make it a 3D object for what I'm doing in After Effects. I am trying to make it 3D so I can edit it in repousse because all I really need to do is extrude it. But I do not know how to go about this.

I've tried the different options in the 3D drop down menu but none of them bring me to edit in repousse. Thank you for your help!

Also, I know that I can make it 3D in After Effects my making multiples of it and what not but I don't want to go about it that way. Also, I'm working with CS5.5 and the 3D renderer plugin in After Effects is only available in CS6.

• 1. Re: How do I make an existing object, with multiple layers, a 3D object?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, what have you tried so far? Created selections? Traced the outlines with vector paths? In any case, if you want "multiple layers", meaning separate meshes, this is not gonna do much for you in AE. Each element will be a separate layer and they won't interact properly in 3D space not to speak of the awful performance. So for all intents and purposes, you might consider looking elsewhere. Use a 3D program like the free Blender or buy a plug-in like Element 3D.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How do I make an existing object, with multiple layers, a 3D object?
            leah r heiser Level 1

Where can I find the free Blender?

I have tried a few things. Mostly trying to make it 3D in photoshop and moving it over to AE. But all I need is for the logo to extrude and in order to do that in PS I have to edit it in repousse and I am not able to make it a 3D object in order to edit it in repousse. Also, AE CS6 offers a renderer that makes objects become 3D but I have CS5.5 so that plugin is not available to me. I'm just wondering if there is another path I can take even though it seems like I can't do much without buying a plugin.