10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 6:27 PM by Aspiring01

Request for sanity check on a new build.

Aspiring01

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so if I make any breaches of protocol please understand I mean no harm.  I am a bit of a newbie/hobbyist (I've built a few computers but not for a few years and never a NLE build) and I'm trying to build a video editing machine to handle primarily AVCHD footage in Premiere Pro CS5 (and probably upgrade in the semi-near future).  The footage would mainly be interviews of around an hour in length, typically one clip with maybe some titles and definitely captions/subtitles.  Think Ken Burns style documentary interview stuff.  I've read many of the posts here on building video editing machines and they've been amazingly helpful, especially all of the guides put out by Haram, Bill, John, et al.  So thank you all for doing those. And now I'd really appreciate it if you guys could give me a sanity check on what I've picked so far.  I need it to handle the above specifications and I'm trying really hard to make it if not future proof at lease future resistant.  Oh and I'm slightly over what I'd prefer to spend at this point, so any input on where I could cut some costs would be very appreciated.  Yes, I realize future proof and over cost do not combine well, and I guess I lean more towards spending more for greater value if need be.

What I have so far:

CPU:

Intel i7-3820

CPU cooling:

Recommendation requested.  Don't know what really to look for.  I'm leaning towards water cooled.

Mobo:

ASUS P9X79 WS Intel X79 Motherboard

Case:

Cooler Master SGC-5000-KKN1 CM Storm Trooper Full Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, XL-ATX, 9x 5.25" Ext Bays, 2x 120mm Red LED Fans, 1x 140mm Fan, 1x 200mm Fan, 2x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA(34.65 lbs)

PSU:

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Videocard:

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 670 with 4gbs memory

Hard drive (I know I need at least one, probably two, more, this is going to be my first upgrade in about a month or two.):

WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Desktop 7200RPM

Blueray:

LG BH14NS40 Internal 14x Blu-Ray Burner - 128GB BDXL Support, 3D Playback, SATA Connection, M-DISC Support(2.2 lbs)

Memory:
      G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (2nd upgrade will be another 32 gigs)

I know many here like the ASUS P9X79 WS for the motherboard, but me being not as technically literate as them, I was wondering what makes this board so much better than the others?  Also, does anyone have any comments on Windows 7 vs. 8?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a highly rated full tower case... with 4 case fans already mounted for cooling http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225

ADDED... looking again, the case you selected also has 4 fans, so probably no reason to change your selection

You might want to think about 2 x 8Gig ram to start, for better future additions of 2 x 8Gig sets... of course, all sets of the same type

I use Win7 64bit Pro with CS5... I have seen some comments from others that Win8 64bit Pro also works well... my wife absolutely LOVES Win8 on the computer I built her this past November, but she does not do video editing

She DOES however use a CAD program for full house and remodal design work, and once past the new style Start screen, Win8 works just like Win7

ADDED... once you have picked a brand (ASUS is very good) select a model based on features... so the question would be, what does that model motherboard have for YOU that is missing on any other model?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
            Harm Millaard Level 7

In general it looks good. You may want to have a look at this lengthy article, that contains a complete description of a new build I did recently:

Planning & Building a NLE System

It is in a different category, but the general principles apply to all systems.

• 3. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
              JEShort01 Level 4

cpu - fine

MB - definitely scale back from the WS board for what you are doing; Asus x79 is great though... consider Sabertooth, deluxe, etc.; check out Asus www site and use the compare tool to see that subtle differences between the different boards

case - nice; I'm sure you could chop off about $50 here if you go with something like the HAF 932 if you want to shave some cost

cpu cooling - Cooler Master $30 Hyper 212 plus w/ extra fan or $90 Noctua NH-D14 are both good choices; the 3820 can put out a lot a heat and unless you go full watercooled, air will probably be more effective and more reliable vs. closed loop liquid cooling kits

gpu - fine

p/s - could probably get by with 850 watts, I personally prefer AX series from Corsair over CM (jonnyguru is a good www site for p/s's)

memory - strong opinion here! Choose 32 or 64GB and buy it all now. 1600 speed is fast enough. You want your build to be working, tested, etc. from the start. If you add drives later, that is very low risk of causing major issues. I would not say the same about setting up for 16GB and then adding 32GB to that. The memory management and RAM choices impact setup, overclockinge, etc.

drive(s) - even for this price point, I would suggest starting w/ good 120GB or 128GB SSD (corsair 840 pro, etc.) + 1 2TB or larger 7200 drive. Changing to a SSD later would be painful, and face it, this is a pretty decent build! If you go with the WD Black for a OS/programs drive now, you could be pretty dissapointed later on, especially when you drive someone else's laptop with a decent SSD and it feels snappier

Good luck!

Jim

• 4. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                Aspiring01 Level 1

Thanks John T. Smith, Haram Millard, and JEShort01 for your help and input.  I went back and looked over my build given your recommendations, and ended up doing a bit a of  redo, hence why so long between posts (and for some reason the forum wouldn't let me in Friday or Saturday).  And here's what I've got now.  I'd value your input.

Case: Coolermaster 932 advanced

I like the 3x230mm fans, lower db's and good reviews. Plus it's about $50 cheaper.

P/S:SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V

Thanks for the Johnyguru link JEShort01!  They seemed to really like the 1250W offering in this line, giving it a total score of 9.7 in their review.  It's a 80 plus gold.  Is it worth it to move up to a plus platinum unit for another $35?

As for 850W vs. more I'd prefer a power supply to grow into as I add more later rather than outgrow.  Quite frankly this subject kind of confuses me.  I've played extensively with the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator, but whether or not I need a bigger supply or not, after future anticipated upgrades, seems to depend heavily on the maximum load and the capacitor aging.  So I guess I'll round up.

Motherboard: AS9X79 Pro

Saves some money over the WS.  Though I looked at the X79 Sabertooth for quite a while.  I like the focus on cooling, especially as I more or less live in a desert (interior Southern California), and can only afford to turn the A/C up so high (interior summer temps ~80F).  Any thoughts?

CPU: still i7-3820 especially after I picked up one from Micro Center for $230+tax.

CPU Cooling: Leaning towards Corsair H100i

I know JEShort01 seemed to prefer something air cooled like the Noctua NH-D14 over the closed loop coolers but I came across this review at Tomshardware.com, link, where the H100i did a better job cooling on the Asus P9X79 than the Noctua as well as the same job cooling the MB's voltage regulatory circuitry.  Plus right now I can pick up one for a $10 difference and the lower stress placed on the motherboard is attractive to me as I tend to move a lot, and may actually move the computer a bit more.  Then again I could always submerge it in oil, link :-) (Stumbled on it researching cooling and love that they did that).

Memory: I think I'm going to split between both your advice John T. Smith and JEShort01 and go with 32Gb (4x8Gb) so that I can fill a channel and then purchase a duplicate set as soon as I can to fill out to 64Gb.

I am a little stuck trying to decide between higher clock speed and lower timings though.  I've seen Haram's post on memory, here, where he seems to prefer higher timings and higher clock speeds for stability. The two I'm looking at are the

G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) timings(9-9-9-24)

and the

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) timings(10-11-10-30)

There's a $5 difference. How much of a stability difference should I expect between them?

GPU: Still a EVGA GTX 670 4Gb

SSD:OCZ VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G Vertex 3 Max IOPS 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III 6Gbps

+

2 TB WD Black

Thanks JEShort01 for suggesting I look into a SSD.  It makes so much sense to install the O.S. et al. on the HD I plan to use out of the gate.  The OCZ seems to have had some firmware issues, but they seemed to have cleared that up in the beginning of the month with an update.  So normally I might avoid it but after finding it on sale at TigerDirect.com for $139.99 after discounts and rebates and as it seems to be pretty much in the same ballpark as the Samsung 840 Pro's specs, I am willing to give it a shot, especially for the extra space.

Okay thank you all again for all of your help.  You already saved me from making some stupid mistakes.

• 5. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                  Scott Chichelli Level 3

absolutely NO on the OCZ SSD

Intel 335 series 240G!

Samsung

Crucial

and you need at least 2 drives past the OS

• 6. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                    Aspiring01 Level 1

Scott, why such vehemence against OCZ?  Most of the places I've looked seem to give them pretty good reviews and scores.  Did you have some personal bad experiences with them or with its capability to do video editing?  If so I'd love to know.

Also, thanks for the info on needing more drives.  Yeah, I mentioned in my first post that I was going to add on more drives as one of my first upgrades as more money becomes available, but I forgot to include that in my second post.  So thanks for making sure.

• 7. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Scott, why such vehemence against OCZ?  Most of the places I've looked seem to give them pretty good reviews and scores.  Did you have some personal bad experiences with them or with its capability to do video editing?  If so I'd love to know.

I'm not Scott, but I do not recommend any of the Vertex 3 or Agility 3 SSDs if you're going to go with OCZ on account of them being based on a Sandforce controller that suffers massively degraded performance after the drives have been in use for a while. (In the worst cases, the drives lost well over half of their initial performance!) The only way to "fix" such degradation would be to completely secure-erase the SSD and reinstall Windows and the programs entirely from scratch - and with Sandforce-based SSDs, you might have to do so every few weeks or even every few days. None of the SSDs based on other companies' controllers suffer nearly as much performance degradation as the Sandforce-based SSDs.

Though Scott's recommendation against OCZ in general is based on the relatively poor reliability record of that company's SSDs. And that's not to mention relatively poor customer service and support quality from that company.

• 8. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not Scott but the Vertex 3 was lousy, I happen to have a Vertex 4 that is better but it does not compare to the Samsung 840 Pro. Take a look at a pair in RAID 0

HD Tune z68 Intel Read 840Pro 2 x 256 R0.png

HD Tune z68 Intel Write 840Pro 2 x 256 R0.png

And I have measured an export from Premiere at 824 MB/seconds.

• 9. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                          Scott Chichelli Level 3

without detailed explaination

i am a system builder/vendor

i wont sell anything OCZ  thier quality control is really bad, warranty and support even worse

when there are better quality companies/products out there why risk it?

again

Intel, Samsung, Crucial

i am a big fan of intels 335 series 240G

Scott

ADK

PS if you really look you will find a lot of complaints against OCZ

• 10. Re: Request for sanity check on a new build.
                            Aspiring01 Level 1

Thanks all! That was just the kind of info I was looking for.  Yeah, I think I may have suffered from wilful blindness on OCZ because it is so cheap and so I wanted it to work.  Thanks for helping me avoid doing something I'd regret.

I'm still kind of confused though.  I love the specs and hear nothing but good things about the Samsung 840 pro's, but the Intel 335 series 240G sounds really nice and fits my budget better.  The part I'm confused about is doesn't the Intel 335 series use the Sandforce controllers, and aren't they supposed to cause issues (such as those mentioned above by RjL190365)? I know I'm probably missing something here though.  SSDs are not one my strong points though I'm learning.

Also, if someone would be so kind as to give some feedback on my revised build in my second post above, I'd greatly appreciate it, especially whether a closed loop CPU cooler like the Corsair H100i would work and whether timing or clock speed is a more important memory consideration with a NLE build.  Thanks again all for your help.  This is my first NLE build and it's been very much a learning experience.