7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 7:02 PM by Bob Currier

Question on Color Correction / gamma

Illusiumd11 Level 1

I'm correcting footage shot with a "flat" camera style. When I correct the footage using SA Color Finesse in AE, I feel like I'm pretty clear on using the HSL controls - except for gamma. My goal is to set Pedestal to crush the blacks a bit around 0 and Gain to bring the brightest white point toward 100. But Gamma is throwing me and making my footage look inconsistent I think. Is there a proper way to work with these controls? What if you have footage where there's no real black or white? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

First things first: are you knowledgeable of the training materials available for Color Finesse, or has your experience with it been developed intuitively?

Then there's this:  if the exposures vary widely in a shot sequence, color correction and color grading aren't always the easiest things to get right.

• 2. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
            BenjaminMarkus Level 4

These are some great tutorials for using SA Color Finesse in After Effects CS6:

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
              Illusiumd11 Level 1

Awesome thanks for these. Before I get into them, quick question: Is there a difference in SA CF between the Gain/Gamma/Pedestal sliders on the HSL page (the first page you see when SA loads up) and the "Master" sliders on the RGB page?

• 4. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
                Bob Currier Level 3

You can treat the HSL gain/gamma/ped and all of the "Master" gain/gamma/ped controls (in RGB, CMY, and YCbCr) as being equal.

Use whichever set of controls feels most natural to you. Some people think on color in HSL terms, others in RGB (Photoshop) terms. And some color correction problems lend themselves to a certain set of controls (I'm thinking of fixing misbalanced analog component video with the YCbCr controls).

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture

• 5. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
                  idar lettrem Level 1

"....

if the exposures vary widely in a shot sequence, color correction and color grading aren't always the easiest things to get right." Just so!

And it's a bit embarassing, but I often find "auto color" and "auto levels" better than me pulling the various handles in the different adjustment options.

But the cost is a tendency to slight flickering ( color / levels) in long lasting scenes with exposures varying.

Q: is it in any way possible to read out  the parameters in use when applying "auto color" or "auto levels" ? This would eventually be a handy starting point for a manual approach .

• 6. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
                    Illusiumd11 Level 1

Thanks again. I'm getting more into it. Can you give me some direction on how to use the color picker in the lower right? I followed some of the tutorials and understand the shortcuts and have it set to floating point, but I don't understand how to work with it to adjust say a white point to white. Say you select a white area with the color picker. When I then change some settings, watching them shift, when I select that same area- the values are radically different. Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Other than that a great tool, love having all the scopes and monitors in one place.

When working in floating point, over 1.0 is clipping on a white area?

• 7. Re: Question on Color Correction / gamma
                      Bob Currier Level 3

[Sorry for the slow response. The flu hit Synthetic Aperture Global HQ hard.]

I wouldn't use the automatic color match tool to try to correct a problem in the extreme highlights (white). Because white (or near white) is so far to one extreme, automated color matching tends to make changes which aren't right for the rests of the image.

If the problem is one of overall incorrect color balance, try the Auto Color tool instead. In the full UI it's located in the Levels tab, in the lower-right corner. The Auto Color button is also available in the simplified interface within AE. (Like all auto color tools, it can sometimes be fooled and be spectacularly wrong.)

If the problem is one of contaminated whites while the rest of the image has a proper color balance, my approach would be to sample the white with the eyedropper. Note the readings on the individual color channels. For a neutral white all of the color channels whould have equal values. You'll need to adjust the RGB channels to accomplish that. Select the RGB tab, then the Highlights tab. Now use the Red, Green, and Blue Gain controls to balance the color channels to be equal.

Bob Currier

Synthetic Aperture