1 2 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 12:00 PM by Harm Millaard

Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?

Harm Millaard Level 7

This question is often asked and a lot of people still think they can get away with a single disk or maybe 2 disks for a video editing system.

It would be relatively easy to tell you that a SATA disk is half duplex, so traffic can go only one way at a time, either reading or writing, and the other traffic has to wait until the first data streams have completed, before the next direction gets full attention, but that is rather technical and may not appeal to many, so let me put it to you in another way.

Whatever you do during editng, there comes a moment when you have to export your final result, be that for the web, to BD or DVD, it does not matter, the only thing relevant is that you need to EXPORT your final results and that is where the disk(s) come into play.

Bill Gehrke and I have been testing this extensively and let me make my final argument here.

We have a very simple SD DV AVI timeline of three hours duration, no effects, no transitions, single track only. We exported that to SD DV AVI and wrote that file to disk. Simple, no calculations required, no effects, no transitions, no scaling, no frame blending, nothing to complicate matters further. The intent was only to show the impact of the disk setup on export times. It may not be relevant to your case, but it does show the impact of a good disk setup and as such translates to your EXPORT times equally.

We tested with the following disk configurations:

• Harm i7-3930K, (OC) 4.7, 64 GB, GTX 680, 3 x 7 Raid3 striped to Raid30
      • BillG i7-980X, (OC) 4.4, 24 GB, GTX 680, 1 x 8 Raid0 15K SCSI disks
      • BillG i7-2600K, stock, 32 GB, GTX 660, single SSD, OCZ Vertex4
      • BillG i7-2600K, stock, 32 GB, GTX 660, single HDD, Seagate 7200.12

This is what we found after many test runs:

Disk_io_test.png

This clearly shows the impact of disk setup on export times.

I rest my case.

• 1. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
          Jeff Bellune Level 5

Just over 6 minutes to export a 3 hour SD DV timeline using a single hard disk? Not bad. Not too bad at all.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

• 2. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
            Alex - DV411 Level 2

Just over 6 minutes to export a 3 hour SD DV timeline using a single hard disk? Not bad. Not too bad at all.

Ditto for just over two minutes on a single SSD.

The test is supposed to demonstrate "the impact of disk setup on export times" yet there are no changes or variations in any of the bench configurations?

Why not test the most common configurations (2- or 3-drive RAID0) and vary the setup for each, e.g. break a 2-drive RAID0 and see how that impacts export times?

Also really curious about the alleged evil of SATA's single-duplex operation.  Any proof yet?

• 3. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The test is supposed to demonstrate "the impact of disk setup on export times" yet there are no changes or variations in any of the bench configurations?

What do you mean? Your major complaint about PPBM5 was the changes or variations in configurations, something taken out of the picture.

Why not test the most common configurations (2- or 3-drive RAID0) and vary the setup for each, e.g. break a 2-drive RAID0 and see how that impacts export times?

For the illiterate benchmark readers,  export times are linearly related to sustained write speeds, so breaking up a 2 disk raid0 into 2 single disks will almost double export times. Breaking up a 3 disk raid0 into individual disks will almost triple export times. And what both you and Jeff forget, is that benchmark tests have to be short in duration. It is easy to make a benchmark that takes at least 30 minutes on a very fast system, but cripples an average system and will take more than 24 hours. Not very feasible, right?

Also really curious about the alleged evil of SATA's single-duplex operation.  Any proof yet?

SATA is not single duplex, it is half duplex. Yes, when the timeline does not fit memory and has to be read from disk and then be written to disk the penalty in export times can get as high as 40-50%.

The point that Jeff and you seem to miss completely is that a single disk will be around 17 times slower than a fast disk setup in the best of circumstances and that will go up to around 30 times slower when fill rates increase. In this test it may not amount to much total time, what is 6 minutes, but with - as you like to put it - many short YouTube exports daily, it will add up quickly.

Writing a 25 GB ISO file to disk for later burning to BDR will be between 17 - 30 times slower on a single disk system than on a fast disk system. If you both want to tell me that is irrelevant, go ahead and make your opinion known,

export times are not relevant for editors... but I wonder how many would agree with you.

• 4. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                Jeff Bellune Level 5

The point that Jeff and you seem to miss completely is that a single disk will be around 17 times slower than a fast disk setup in the best of circumstances and that will go up to around 30 times slower when fill rates increase. In this test it may not amount to much total time, what is 6 minutes, but with - as you like to put it - many short YouTube exports daily, it will add up quickly.

Most users on a budget will have to perform a cost/benefit analysis.  How much does it cost to put 21 hard disks in a system, plus add the hardware to adequately handle that many drives and that kind of throughput, compared to what a modest laptop or desktop system costs? 

Consider also that exporting for YouTube often involves CPU-intensive H.264 exports, making the disk I/O times virtually irrelevant.

A single disk isn't an ideal set up -- far from it.  But in a pinch it can work just fine in many circumstances.  It's certainly not useless or wholly unacceptable, despite that description of it being stated as fact many times in this forum before.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

A single disk isn't an ideal set up -- far from it.  But in a pinch it can work just fine in many circumstances.  It's certainly not useless or wholly unacceptable, despite that description of it being stated as fact many times in this forum before.

Like Adobe did in the mimimum requirements, a dedicated 7200 RPM disk, up to and including CS4.

• 6. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                    Jeff Bellune Level 5

Fair enough.

How does a system with a dedicated 7200 RPM media disk compare to the other configurations you tested for this topic?  How many times slower than your 21-disk array is it?  How does it compare to the single disk systems?

Jeff

• 7. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                      El_Plates Level 1

Adding extra disks (even without Raid-0) has sped-up my exports considerably.

Project Media, and the Export destination are on separate disks.

When I export 720p video with no effects (but with minimal transitions added) it exports ridiculous fast. That's on my old i7 2600 with it's locked CPU.

I've begun configuring my new P9X79-PRO/ i7 3930k PC, so I can't wait to see how it performs.

There's space for 9 disk drives, plus as many SSD's, which gives me plenty of options.

Currently there's 3x 3.5" drives, plus one SSD. I plan to add 3 more 3.5" drives, soon.

I need to ask some questions related to drive set-up before I proceed. For that, I'll start a new discussion thread, because it's a little off-topic here.

• 8. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                        Alex - DV411 Level 2

What do you mean? Your major complaint about PPBM5 was the changes or variations in configurations, something taken out of the picture.

I don't remember complaining about that, or complaining about PPBM5 period. I did point out that it doesn't adequately reflect Premiere Pro workflows - did that have to be taken so personally?

Perhaps read my question again?

For the illiterate benchmark readers

Which part of what I said indicates my illiteracy?

...breaking up a 2 disk raid0 into 2 single disks will almost double export times.

Including setting up one as a source (media volume), the other as an export volume?

Yes, when the timeline does not fit memory and has to be read from disk and then be written to disk the penalty in export times can get as high as 40-50%.

Harm, this has nothing to do with half and full duplex. Also, I asked for proof, not guesswork.

• 9. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

My fault, I should have made it clear from the beginning I was talking about a dedicated disk all the time:

• One disk for OS & programs, plus

• One HDD for project and media, or
                            • One SSD for project and media, or
                            • 8 x Raid0 for project and media, or
                            • 3 x 7 Raid3, striped to Raid30 for project and media.

All tests were at least two disks, ONE for OS & programs, the other(s) for project and media.

I will redo the test on a really single disk system tomorrow, with everything on it and report back, but hold your breath, it will take quite awhile.

Currently running the test on a SINGLE disk system and it looks like something in the neighbourhood of 1800 seconds, around 82 times slower than a fast system.

• 10. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

You will get my test results on a SINGLE disk setup tomorrow.

Perhaps read my question again?

I did, but am not sure what you mean.

• 11. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

How does it compare to the single disk systems?

Admittedly, this SINGLE disk system is somewhat filled, around 50% fill rate and it accomplished its task in 1841 seconds, only 84 times slower than a fast disk setup.

• 12. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

I did, but am not sure what you mean.

Your conclusion:

This clearly shows the impact of disk setup on export times.

I rest my case.

... is based on a term "setup" (aka "configuration", aka "the way certain components are put together") - yet you test very disparate components without testing the variations in how they can be put together or configured.

I think the test could very much benefit in exploring exactly that - the variances in how a fixed set of components (disks) can be configured to maximize their benefits for Premiere Pro workflows.  Such as: test two disks as individual volumes vs. them in RAID0.

Otherwise we aren't really looking at "clear impact of disk setups"; rather, "clear impact of more / faster disks". To me, it's not the same thing.

Can't wait for your clarification of my illiteracy and SATA's evil half-duplex-ness.

• 13. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                  RjL190365 Level 4

I can "confirm" SATA's "evil" half-duplexness on my exports to a pair of 1TB WD Caviar Black drives in a RAID 0. Exporting a 3 hour 3 minute timeline with audio through Adobe Media Encoder - both with the media and project files on a separate disk and with the media and project files on the same pair of RAID 0'd Blacks as the export disks. My results came out as 381 seconds with the media and project files on a separate disk versus 743 seconds with the media and project files on the same RAID 0 pair as the export disk. That's nearly twice as long as the result with separate source and export disks. So, if the 1841 seconds were achieved by a truly single-disk system (with the exact same disk used for the OS, programs, pagefile, media cache, media, projects and exports - and with Premiere set to direct export, at that), then the disk interface must not only perform reads and writes of the media, but must also deal with the media cache and pagefile. Doing all that on the OS disk will slow down exports by a factor of about six (meaning about six times slower) compared to exporting that same video from a separate disk to a single disk that's otherwise identical to that OS disk.

My follow-up test, exporting video only through direct export, yielded a result of 221 seconds with the media and project files on a separate disk. Compare that to the 714-second result I attained with the media and project files on the same disk as the RAID 0 export disk.

• 14. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                    Jeff Bellune Level 5

Harm Millaard wrote:

How does it compare to the single disk systems?

Admittedly, this SINGLE disk system is somewhat filled, around 50% fill rate and it accomplished its task in 1841 seconds, only 84 times slower than a fast disk setup.

So a system with a single hard disk can export a 3-hour DV timeline in 30 minutes?  Not as good as 6 minutes for the 2-disk system, but not a disaster, either.  I remember when I would lay off my DV timelines to tape -- that would be an hour of export time for an hour of timeline content.

Still, I would recommend at least one dedicated media drive in addition to an OS/Programs drive for everyone.  But I wouldn't criticize someone for getting, for example, a laptop with only one drive, as long they understood the time cost involved.  And if their budget ever permitted adding an external drive, then their editing experience would only get better.

Jeff

• 15. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

I can "confirm" SATA's "evil" half-duplexness ...

No you can't: this has nothing to do with half-duplex, only with (dis)advantages of RAID0 vs. individual drives for a specific purpose.

The only way you could confirm was test this setup against a full duplex one (e.g. SAS versions of the same drives).

• 16. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Otherwise we aren't really looking at "clear impact of disk setups"; rather, "clear impact of more / faster disks". To me, it's not the same thing.

I think you are nit-picking, hair-splitting, pedantic, finicky and cavilling here, especially since my mother tongue in not English. Next time I'm around, I'll visit you for some English lessons.

• 17. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                          Jeff Bellune Level 5

Harm,

At the risk of offending Alex by putting words in his mouth, I think he is making a distinction between disk setup (which I interpret as: Which drive has the OS?  Which drive has the cache files?  Should the project files and media files go on the same disk or not?) and simply adding more or faster disks to the system (where it is likely the disk setup questions have already been at least partially answered)

Is that still splitting hairs?  Even with lots of disks in the system, a bad setup can degrade performance significantly and unnecessarily.

Jeff

• 18. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

It will probably be my lacking English skills, but in my perception Disk setup is all about:

• the kind of disks used, SSD or HDD
                                            • the RPM's of HDD's (5400 or 7200 or 10000 or 15000, etc.)
                                            • the connection used (SATA, SAS, SCSI or fibre)
                                            • the number of disks
                                            • the raid controller, configuration and level used, if any
                                            • partitioning applied or not
                                            • what goes where on which volume
                                            • fill rates on the available disks / arrays / volumes
                                            • etc.

Again, in my perception these things are all heavily related and impact the performance. IMO Alex is nit-picking about number of disks and that is too narrow a view to my liking. Remember when he asked a very valid question about number of volumes? What if I have 4 HDD's but configured in a raid10 with multiple volumes (partitioning) instead of 2 x 2 raid0 with the same disks, resulting in a two volume setup? A huge difference in performance, but the same number of disks. Allocation of what goes where will be different in these situations as well, depending on workflow and nature of the projects.

Anyway, this topic has the header "Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?" and I think that has been clearly demonstrated.

• 19. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                              Jeff Bellune Level 5

Anyway, this topic has the header "Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?" and I think that has been clearly demonstrated.

Agreed.

• 20. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

I think you are nit-picking, hair-splitting, pedantic, finicky and cavilling here, especially since my mother tongue in not English. Next time I'm around, I'll visit you for some English lessons.

Hey mine isn't either and you can only visit me if you dare call me illiterate again - in my face. Then I might indeed split a hair or two.

P.S. I may well be illiterate, it's just I am not used to people say something and not being able to back it up.  Here in the Wild West, that doesn't fly.

• 21. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                  RjL190365 Level 4

No you can't: this has nothing to do with half-duplex, only with (dis)advantages of RAID0 vs. individual drives for a specific purpose.

The only way you could confirm was test this setup against a full duplex one (e.g. SAS versions of the same drives).

You are correct that the performance has little (if anything) to do with SATA or half-duplexness per se. It is just that RAID 0 arrays on a software or firmware-assisted software RAID are just slower than they should be. And two-disk RAID 0 arrays on such an onboard controller are, if anything, twice as slow as either of those same two disks configured as individual disks when it comes to exporting within the same disk or array as the media/project files.

And as I pointed out earlier, the reason why the truly single-disk system is so slow (about six times slower than an identical disk used as a data drive with a separate OS/programs disk) is largely attributable to the fact that the single OS disk used for everything not only has to deal with simultaneous reads and writes, but also that same disk also has to deal with the pagefile and other processes. And all that eats up so much of a disk's internal cache memory buffer that the SATA interface (or more specifically, the single SATA channel that the single disk is connected to) calls into play.

• 22. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                    Alex - DV411 Level 2

It is just that RAID 0 arrays on a software or firmware-assisted software RAID are just slower than they should be.

Thanks for confirming about half-duplex; software RAIDs haven't been all that slow in my experience:

That's a RAID0 with two HGST Ultrastars 7K4000 3TB striped in Windows.

I think software RAID is the way of the future.  Many of today's high performance NAS appliances use software RAIDs.

• 23. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                      Alex - DV411 Level 2

Call me a nitpicker: I say it's anything but.  The only thing that has been clearly demonstrated is that export times get shorter with more / faster disks. I am shocked at the news, I mean, who would have thunk?!

NLE isn't all about exports.  Exporting certainly isn't the only thing about editing and some would say, it's far from being the most important.  Some would even say, smooth playback and responsiveness are far more important in editing than exports are.  Amazing things they come up with, eh?

Bench-testing export times, finding out that they get faster with faster disks - and calling that an answer to a question, "Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?", is just strange, and I don't think it's about linguistics.  All that was tested, were export times.

I am the only one thinking that either the wrong thing was tested, or the thread title is way off?

• 24. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                        Alan Craven Level 4

To my surprise, I am with Alex on this.

Harm's system is super-fast, thus any export task is accomplished in a very short time.  A system which is "ten times slower" than that (i.e. takes ten times as long to accomplish the same exporting task), is still very fast since 10 times a value close to zero, is inevitably also itself fairly close to zero.

These eternal threads about "system editing speed" are NOT honest.  They are about exportingspeed, and as Alex says "NLE isn't all about exports".

I have just returned from my annual migration to the southern hemisphere with several hours of video to edit.  I am quite sure that I shall spend several DAYS (if not weeks!) editing this, followed by several MINUTES exporting to the various formats that I require.

None the less I have two RAID 0 arrays, plus three single disks in addition to my OS dri9ve in my current system.  this is not to achieve super-fast exporting, but a smooth and enjoyable editing experience

• 25. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

NLE isn't all about exports.  Exporting certainly isn't the only thing about editing and some would say, it's far from being the most important.  Some would even say, smooth playback and responsiveness are far more important in editing than exports are.  Amazing things they come up with, eh?

Yeah, sure, you are right. But then I never said it is all about exports. That is what you make of it.

Smooth playback and responsiveness on the same system, once with OS disk plus a single hard disk, nearly empty, gives 18 dropped frames out of 1527, on the same system from an array it gives 0 dropped frames. What has your preference? You probably amaze me by saying that it does not matter, these dropped frames.

Wonder  what you come up with next?

• 26. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

You seem to have forgotten that the post is about export times and the fact that everybody has to export at a certain moment. See #1. Not about anything else, despite what Alex wants to turn it into. He has great linguistic capabilities to turn everything you say against you, he should have been a politician.

He brought up the issue that not all is about exporting. I could not agree more. But like always he is turning to something that is not the issue here. Was never intended to be , but he makes his cavilling replies without understanding the topic of this post and wanting to turn it into something else altogether.

• 27. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

But then I never said it is all about exports.

The thread title does when combined with the conclusion, "This clearly shows the impact of disk setup on export times".

Harm, it looks like it's you against a bunch of nitpickers.  You just can't win.

Smooth playback and responsiveness on the same system, once with OS disk plus a single hard disk, nearly empty, gives 18 dropped frames out of 1527, on the same system from an array it gives 0 dropped frames.

There, Harm. You're onto something. Now we are actually talking about the real subject of this thread.

Wonder  what you come up with next?

I am illiterate, remember?  Don't expect anything good.

• 28. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                Alex - DV411 Level 2

Alex ... has great linguistic capabilities to turn everything you say against you, he should have been a politician.

(Couldn't resist.)  Combined with apparent illiteracy, those "great linguistic capabilities" would make me deadly.

• 29. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The thread title does when combined with the conclusion, "This clearly shows the impact of disk setup on export times".

What is it you don't want to understand? Is it my English or what? You clearly quoted:

the impact of disk setup on export times.

• 30. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RjL190365 wrote:

And two-disk RAID 0 arrays on such an onboard controller are, if anything, twice as slow as either of those same two disks configured as individual disks when it comes to exporting within the same disk or array as the media/project files.

Randall,

I have to disagree with your statement above. Here are HD Tune Read and Write plots for a single Seagate 2 TB 7200.14 drive and a RAID 0 array of 2 each 2TB disks on the onboard Intel controller on my older Z68 platform.  Forget the peaks and notice that the averages across the whole drive are quite close to doubling the performance.  And this holds true when exporting from Premiere. 

HD-Tune-2-GB-Read.jpg

HD-Tune-2-GB-Write.jpgHD-Tune-2x2-GB-R0-Read.jpgHD-Tune-2x2-GB-R0-Write.jpg

• 31. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

So Bill, here's the test you need to perform.

Put the media on one of those 2TB drives, and export to the other.

Then put the media on the RAID, and export to the same RAID.

That would be the real test here.

• 32. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Put the media on one of those 2TB drives, and export to the other.

Then put the media on the RAID, and export to the same RAID.

That would be the real test here.

No, it would not, because the media is loaded into memory first, and unless you run out of memory, it makes no difference on write speeds. Of course the raid0 is nearly twice as fast as a single disk, but it makes no difference where the media are located. You are introducing other variables that have no bearing on the OP.

• 33. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Personally I believe the export time comparison is valuable. I cant say how many times client's ask what do they need to significantly reduce export times on a system when time frames are daily and not monthly or longer. It's just a different part of the media content creation industry especially in the financial sector. The added benefit is the correlation to realtime playback performance or limiting the realtime playback performance such as on a laptop with less ram.

Eric

ADK

• 34. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?

Right on Harm!. 

That is the principal of the proposed new PPBM Disk I\O test.  This gets rid of almost all CPU activity and gives a Premiere based true disk write rate.  If you look at Harm's plot above you see that the four examples have times of 22, 31, 124, 363 seconds to directly export a timeline of 1642 DV PAL clips (03:00:02:05) to a contiguous AVI file which is 37092 MB. 

If you take Harm's time of 22 seconds you get a file write rate of 1686 MB/s to Harms project disk array. 

My much smaller array (8 each 2.5-inch 15,000 rpm SAS disks in RAID 0 happens in 31 seconds and therefore has a write transfer rate from Premiere of 1196.5 MB/second.

To create a so-called "average" system I am running my i7-2600K Sandy Bridge system at stock speed but with full 32 GB of RAM and I pulled out one of my older 1 TB drives for this test.  It is a Seagate 7200.12 drive and to do this benchmark test it took 363 seconds which says that the Premiere write time test shows a transfer write rate of 102 MB/second.  When I subsequently ran it with one of my new 2 TB 7200.14 drives it took 191 seconds which is a Premiere write transfer rate of 194 MB/second.  Of course with these tests I run them on "virgin" disk drives someday I may create a 50% full disk for testing.

Also of interest is the fact that simply changing the file to a QuickTime MOV file and running this on my Hackintosh I get quite similar results under OSX 10.8.2.

• 35. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Personally I believe the export time comparison is valuable.

Would you test export times alone to determine how optimized (or not) your NLE storage configuration is?  That's what the thread subject seems to infer.

• 36. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Would you test export times alone to determine how optimized (or not) your NLE storage configuration is?  That's what the thread subject seems to infer.

Again you make assumptions like a real politician and try to throw people off the subject. The subject is about Disk Setup and Export Times. nothing more, nothing less. When do you get it? If you want a discussion about 'how optimized' your Z820 is in comparison to other systems (or not), start a new thread. But maybe start with submitting some real data to the PPBM5 benchmark for comparison.

• 37. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

But maybe start with submitting some real data to the PPBM5 benchmark for comparison.

And your assumption here is, that PPBM5 is mature, secure, a good approximation for Pr workflows and not handicapped by its slant towards disk I/O?

Good luck with that, Harm.

• 38. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?

Alex,

PPBM has always been a way to optimize and test the hardware for Premiere users, everyone has different workflows and we do not and could not test workflow.  So If you do not like it do not use it but stop maligning it. It has helped thousands of people over the 7 years it has existed

• 39. Re: Why do I need more than 1 disk on a NLE system?
                                                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

And your assumption here is, that PPBM5 is mature, secure, a good approximation for Pr workflows and not handicapped by its slant towards disk I/O?

It is a useful tool to determine if your system's performance is on a par with other like configurations or if something is underperforming in your system (as Bill Gehrke explained). It does not test workflows per se.

1 2 Previous Next