13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 10:43 AM by Jennifer Genovese RSS

Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

Jennifer Genovese

I just transferred cs5 to my new imac computer using my time machine backup. I now get a "photoshop does not recognize this file type" when I try to open a raw file from photoshop. When I try to open my raw files through bridge I get the message "you do not have permission to open the document. I have checked my permission preferences and have reading and writing permissions and updated to 6.7 ACR. I dont know what to do next?

• 1. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
          eartho Community Member

honestly, that probably wasn't the best way to re-install your system and applications to a new machine. I imagine you're going to be encountering a lot more issues in the near future. Your best bet is to un-authorize and un-install cs5 and then re-install from the disks.

• 2. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
            Jennifer Genovese Community Member

That was my thought too... I just wanted to do anything to work around doing this. I purchased the digital download instead of a disk and read that you can only reinstall it 3 times and this would make 3 for me. Didnt want to go through the headache of explaining myself to Adobe. Sounds like its my only option left after reading many other posts on similar subjects. I appreciate the advice!

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
              John Waller CommunityMVP

Jennifer Genovese wrote:

I purchased the digital download instead of a disk and read that you can only reinstall it 3 times and this would make 3 for me.

Where did you read about a 3 installation limit on downloads? There's no such limit that I'm aware of. You can re-install as as often as you wish.

Got a link to the note about 3 installations?

• 4. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
                Curt Y Community Member

Jennifer Genovese wrote:

I purchased the digital download instead of a disk and read that you can only reinstall it 3 times and this would make 3 for me.

Like other said there is no limit.  But do youself a favor and burn the download file to DVD, record the pertant info and store in safe place.  In case you have to install in future you will then have the disks.

• 5. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

I will do that... the process of transfering of information always makes me nervous. Cant have enough backups for your back ups! Thanks

• 6. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

I read about this 3 download limit in one of the many forums/articles I visited the past two days. Hopfully it was an inaccurate statement and the reinstall will go smoothy. Thank you!

• 7. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

What do you mean by un-authorizing? I did a little reading on this and it said your previous version becomes unauthorized once you launch the new version. Is this correct? I am asking because my original problem still persists even though I uninstalled CS5 on both machines and reinstalled a clean copy on my new machine. I did a little more searching into this and found some "odd issues" that I thought might be the problem. My cs5 folder actually still exhists in my user file folder. (I discovered this after I did the reinstall.) When I went into the CS5 folder it had a red uninstall folder inside of it... thought this was very strange. The new cs5.1 is in my applications file. When I took my machine in for repair they told me not to put Photoshop in my applications folder because it causes problems. The cs5.1 defalted to this location. Any more advice would be greatly appriciated!

• 8. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
                        Curt Y Community Member

I think "un-authorizing" was probably meant as Deactivate (in Help file).

Jennifer Genovese wrote:

What do you mean by un-authorizing? I did a little reading on this and it said your previous version becomes unauthorized once you launch the new version. Is this correct?

No, all versions are seperate programs (CS4,CS5, CS6). 

Most camera raw problems are one of two things - file in wrong folder, or more than one file in the folder.  In PS Help/about plugin/camera raw what does it say?

Assuming you are on Windows machine the default folder is program files.  THere are other files in various places on the C: drive.

If you think you really have things fouled up you can uninstall, run Adobe Script Cleaner, and reinstall.  The script cleaner gets rid of bits and pieces the uninstall process misses.

• 9. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

Curt,

I have an imac OSX 10.8.2. So is the application folder the correct location for the CS5 folder? There is a lot of unclear information about this out on the web.

Everything I loaded today has a CS5.1 name to it. I assumed that it was an updated version from my original CS5? If I click on the CS5 folder located in my user file it opens photoshop (probally means its not uninstalled... hum). I cant access it through utilities/adobe installers/uninstall CS5. So maybe I should do the Script cleaner like you mentioned? Or maybe CS5 and CS5.1 are the same program like you mentioned?

When I follow the path to camera raw you mentioned I get to a photoshop raw "pop up" but ACR doesnt open up. Are you asking for me to locate the Camera Raw plug in folder or look for multiples of the file inside my plugins folder? Their isnt a ACR file in my CS5 file that I found in my user folder or the CS5.1 file in my applications folder. Where would I typically find it? Im having a hard time finding it at all.

Im on my 2nd day of troubleshooting and Ive read so many articles and help threads. Ive had a call back order requested from adobe... Im still waiting 3 hours later. Im afraid they might just reject my request for help since I dont have CS6. You have by far been the best help Ive found. Thank you very much! If you can think of anything else to resolve this please let me know. Im so frusterated at this point... trying to be positive though, Im learning alot.

Jennifer

• 10. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
                            Curt Y Community Member

I never did figure out what 5.1 was.  Was that the subscription version?  I have CS5 and CS6.  The Mac file locations are unknown to me as I am a Windows guy.  So the download you got was it 5.1 or 5?  Believe they are seperate versions as I never had 5.1.

In a Mac believe the camera raw is in About Photoshop and camera raw.  Again not sure of file locations.

If you are at all interested in keeping up with Adobe I would suggest you update to CS6.  Since they have abolished the 3 versions back policy if you do not upgrade to cS7 and wait until CS7 comes out you will have to pay fulll price, ouch!  If you want to say with 5 forever then best to get this version fixed.  You are correct Adobe help will probably not help as you do not have CS6.

• 11. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

I had to look it up... I think your right. CS5.1 is the same product, you just have the ability to "rent" the product monthly or yearly. This was the version that automaticaly downloaded when I went back to my adobe purchase history to reload the file. I actually used cs6 beta and liked it. I just didnt feel like it had features that benifited me personally and justified the upgrade price. I also thought they had abolished their new upgrade policy after recieving so many complaints. I read further into it and it sounds like the policy might take in affect for CS7 upgrades. As tired as I am with all the migration mess and faulty reinstalation issues Ive dealt with it would be a easy fix.

Thanks

jennifer

• 12. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer
                                Jeffrey Tranberry Employee Hosts

What is the difference between Photoshop CS5 and the version of Photoshop that comes with Creative Suite 5.5? http://phtshp.us/5_5_Faq

• 13. Re: Can't open Raw files after transferring CS5 to my new computer

I have finally resolved all the issues and thought Id let everyone know the path I took to solving them. I downloaded cs6 to see if that was the problem but was still unable to save and edited photos or open raw ones.

When I discovered the problem was only occuring on the files on my externial hard drive I decided to revisit the permissions settings for that drive. It tuns out that your read and write prefernces do not inherit permissions if the changes are made in the root direcory. I went into the lead files and added my user name and gave it read and write permissions.

Problem solved!

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.