6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2006 3:21 PM by Newsgroup_User

An alternative to Director?

Superflu
      I've used Director for many years now, mainly for producing prototypes for products in the design phase, or designing GUI. The one thing that bothered me all that time is that Macromedia / Adobe never showed us any future to Director, unlike they do with any other product (well, Coldfusion shares the same fate I guess, and I'm "lucky" enough to use both on a daily basis lol). There were no major releases in the past YEARS, which is insane due to the large audience Director has. If you open a CD autorun menu today, it was likely created with Director.

So that brings me to my question - are there any real alternatives to Director MX 2004? A software that i can use to mimic the behaviour of a product, design a GUI, script events and include ActiveX ?

Any software would be looked into.
        • 1. Re: An alternative to Director?
          Superflu Level 1
          btw, I read the interview with the Adobe employee claiming they will have something in the first half of 2007. That's a year from now, too long, sorry. It also basically means it took them 4 years to develop the next version of Director, wow.
          • 2. Re: An alternative to Director?
            Level 7
            People talk about RunRev and REALBasic - and Flash - as potential
            alternatives
            • 3. Re: An alternative to Director?
              Superflu Level 1
              Thanks for the reply. I'll check both. Flash isn't an option since it wont write/read files to the disk, plus it has many more security features that are helpful only when you're on the net environment, not when you want to produce a standalone app.
              • 4. Re: An alternative to Director?
                Level 7
                Have you looked at any of the wrappers for Flash executables, like Zinc?
                < http://www.multidmedia.com/>
                • 5. Re: An alternative to Director?
                  Superflu Level 1
                  Zinc actually looks promising, does it let you connect to databases / work with local files and communicate with the flash movie it holds?
                  • 6. Re: An alternative to Director?
                    Level 7
                    I've been relying on Director for years for food and a roof, but lately have
                    been taking classes to get away from it. So far, I like VB, and you can put
                    a Flash interface on it. There's not much of a Director job market, but
                    there's plenty for VB and/or Flash. Also, I prefer to ship with Director MX,
                    not 2004. I do a lot of dual screen kiosks, and the newer MIAW functionality
                    is annoying. Since the new Macs can run Windows, the whole crossplatform
                    issue may not be as big of a deal.

Director is sort of like a spouse that dissapeared on you for a few years
                    then suddenly says I'm going to be coming back...in a year!

TR

"Felonius" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:ebe44j$4ql$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > I've used Director for many years now, mainly for producing prototypes for
                    > products in the design phase, or designing GUI. The one thing that
                    > bothered me
                    > all that time is that Macromedia / Adobe never showed us any future to
                    > Director, unlike they do with any other product (well, Coldfusion shares
                    > the
                    > same fate I guess, and I'm "lucky" enough to use both on a daily basis
                    > lol).
                    > There were no major releases in the past YEARS, which is insane due to the
                    > large audience Director has. If you open a CD autorun menu today, it was
                    > likely
                    > created with Director.
                    >
                    > So that brings me to my question - are there any real alternatives to
                    > Director
                    > MX 2004? A software that i can use to mimic the behaviour of a product,
                    > design
                    > a GUI, script events and include ActiveX ?
                    >
                    > Any software would be looked into.
                    >