2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 10:14 PM by Jeff Schewe

Color change in RAW file from CR2 to DNG

GeologyNut

I recently got a new Canon camera, the 60D and when converting from the CR2 file format to the DNG format using the latest 7.2 version of DNG Converter I notice a color change between the original image (CR2 file) to the new DNG file.  Once I open it into Camera RAW (version 4.6 with CS3) the color issues go away and if I save it as a JPEG the color issue is no longer a problem but if I were to resave the DNG file to another DNG file it reverts back to the color changed view in MacOS.  Is this something that I need to be concerned with for future use of the RAW files or is it a display issue in MacOS and iPhoto.  The DNG file also shows the color change in iPhoto.  Below are the two screen caps.

RAW CR2 file straight from the camera

RAW CR2 image cap.png

Converted RAW CR2 to DNG using DNG converter

RAW DNG image cap.png

This issue only appears to occur in preview mode or in iPhoto. 

Thanks,

Nathan

• 1. Re: Color change in RAW file from CR2 to DNG
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try changing the CAMERA’S color-profile settings from sRGB to Adobe RGB or from Adobe RGB to sRGB, switch to the opposite one, and see if the previews are any closer for new CR2 you convert to DNGs.  The theory is that the preview is in terms of the camera Color Profile setting (sRGB vs Adobe RGB) and when the image is converted to DNG that profile is lost for iOS to see, and it is defaulting to the wrong profile. 

In the end , what matters is how Camera Raw converts the file.

Also DNGC 7.3 is the latest version:  http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

• 2. Re: Color change in RAW file from CR2 to DNG
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

GeologyNut wrote:

This issue only appears to occur in preview mode or in iPhoto. 

Sorry...but iPhoto isn't really a full fledged raw processor...what the camera may think the raw image should look like vs what iPhoto thinks the raw file should look like isn't really a useful topic here in the Camera Raw forum. The fact you are still flogging along with ACR 4.6 in Photoshop CS3 says a lot. Raw processing has matured a lot since way back then.