4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 6:03 AM by Peter Spier

Automated pasting of copy?

Paul at xecution

Hi, Hope someone can help?

We produce a lot of car ads every day and have the laborious task of typing in car specs as bullet points, there are probably a list of about 30 different ones which we select 5 for each ad.

My quest ion is: is there some system of having either a library, script or glyph type system that would allow us to hi-light the master copy and click on one of the specs to insert it that would take on the attributes of the master copy?

Cheers

Paul

• 1. Re: Automated pasting of copy?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paste without formatting  (shift-command-V on mac) will cause your pasted text to take on the attributes of the highlighted text you are pasting over, or the text your curser is inserted in.

• 2. Re: Automated pasting of copy?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

And this is why STYLES were invented. Especially the "next style" property, if there is more than one style required. ID will allow you to slect a block of text and style it by right-clicking on the first stylename you need in the Paragrph Styles panel and and choosing Apply Style and Next Style. The trick is to analyze the patterns in your text to set up the syles you need (you may need a different style name for each bulleted line, for example, to get the next style sequence to work if there is other text that follows the bullets).

• 3. Re: Automated pasting of copy?
              Paul at xecution Level 1

Thanks for that, thats one way of doing it. Wanting to know though if there is a way of having a list off all my specs and simply by hilighting a line in indesign and then clicking a selected spec for the list which will auto place.

Cheers

Paul

• 4. Re: Automated pasting of copy?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How about using ID's ability to link to a sspreadsheet? If the range is always the same you can do the formatting inthe spreqdsheet and just update the link to change the copy.

I've go a feeling, though, that you are looking for smething magic that will allow you to update randomly, and I don't think that's possible.