4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 9:24 AM by B3dd03s

Inserting text into a PDF

B3dd03s

Greetings all!

I'm quite new to InDesign, but I'm thrilled to see such a vibrant community on the official forums. I'm getting along quite well with it, absolutley awesome program, I may be in love...

But, I've hit something of a problem. I'm making a digital sales brouchre, 99% of the text it it will remain the same, but there are a few sections where text will need to be changed by the sales guys in our office (client name, client requirements and costings)

Acrobat Pro is too expensive for such simple edits, and I've tried inserting form fields as a workaround but found out that you cannot change the font from Times!

I'm using InDesign CS6. Is there anything I can do to make these small sections easily editable? This document will be edited by end users so needless to say it needs to be simple!

Failing that is there any way the text can be inserted dynamically? For example, the sales guys insert the text and costs into a web form, and the PDF is spat out at the other end?

I know PDF's are finalised files, but I hope there is an adaquate workaround! Anything to get them to stop using Microsoft Word!!!

• 1. Re: Inserting text into a PDF
          MW Design Level 4

Welcome--and the answer is no as regards editing the PDF.

If I were tasked with this where variable data had to be present, I would design it in such a way that the brochures could be pre-printed. Then I would set up a Word document that had a text frame(s) where the sales people entered the variable data and print to the pre-printed brochures.

Or, the brochure is simply the brochure, pricing and other variable data is not part of the brochure. And the sales people would use the method which has been used for eons--a cover letter.

Could one design an application, desktop app/Win8 app/web app that could allow the sales people to add what they need into it and spit out a PDF with all the data? Sure. How much does the company want to spend?

Take care, Mike

• 2. Re: Inserting text into a PDF
            B3dd03s Level 1

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The brochure is for digital use only, so I would need to find a way to edit it directly. It's only a simple edit, but I think I've found something.

In the meantime, I'm using the (newly free!) version of Acrobat Pro 7 and using the TouchUp Text tool. Luckily the whole document displays correctly, and edits can be made. Although there are some limitations.

For anyone having this issue you can download Acrobat Pro 7, along with the rest of CS2 totally free here: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

This solution seems quite strong, but if anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it!

• 3. Re: Inserting text into a PDF
              Luke Jennings Level 4

You are not limited to Times in PDF forms from Acrobat. If you control click on the text box you can change the properties. I think there is some limit to the fonts you can use in a text box and the person who uses the form needs to have the font on their system, so it's best to pick a common one.Form properties.jpg

• 4. Re: Inserting text into a PDF
                B3dd03s Level 1

Amazing!

Luke, you are my hero. This is the exact sort of solution I was looking for.

Now the PDF can be edited in Adobe Reader for free and can be 'printed' as a PDF to stop it being editable when sent to clients.

I'm very pleased we can now send professional looking docs and delete all the horrid .doc files that used to go out.

Thanks again!

xD