14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2013 8:50 AM by Todd_Kopriva

What's next?

rsukhram@tgioa.com Level 1

Good morning all,

So about a year ago I decided to start putting some pieces in place to build a great high end system which will be used for graphics and video, music production and day to day office task.  I use almost everything in the CS6 Master Suite.  I went out and started bulding from the ground up and ended up with the following system:

abobe: CS6 Master Suite

case: Cooler Master Cosmos II

psu: Antec Quattro 1200 watts

mobo: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS

cpu: Dual Xeon E5-2670 (8 cores/2.60Ghz)

ram: 64 total (32 per cpu)

gpus: Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075

primary hdd: Samsung 830 SSD - 500GB (using this to run OS (win 7) and all apps)

file storage hdd:  Two WD 3TB Sata in a mirror raid (using to save all project files) <-  this gets used a lot.

stock storage hdd: Two WD 1.5TB Sata in strip raid (using to store stock files) <-  this is only for storage and rarely used.

cache hdd: An older WD Raptor (10K) 75GB drive (pointing all my adobe caching to this drive)

I am wondering if I made the wrong decisions anywhere with these components.  I did see an instant increase from my previous i7 (gen 1) setup but I am not as impressed with my AE results.  Note that I am more a beginner with AE so I dont have much to compare to with past experiences but from my research and videos of NVidia I would think that my system could perform well.  My scrubbing is bad, my render times are very bad.  Maybe there are things I am not doing to enhance the render time.

I do plan on getting a smaller Samsung SSD to replace my Raptor for caching.  Is this where my performace is falling short?

And in regards to my subject title...if you were me and this is your setup..."What's next"?

thanks in advance,

Ren

• 1. Re: What's next?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You might want to think about a solid state drive for your disk cache.  Much faster!

• 2. Re: What's next?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, AE is not particularly well threaded and there is a million ways when things like MP rendering won't work. You spent a lot of money for a minor performance gain at this point, but you can always hope for CS7 - or learn a 3D program in the meantime and take advantage of your dual Xeons for rendering and whatever.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: What's next?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

An SSD hard drive will help for many parts of AE functionality, the graphics card doesn't matter at all (well, HARDLY at all, unless you're using the ray traced 3d renderer, in which case it does matter).

What, specifically are you doing in After Effects? How is it performing? How are you expecting it to perform? Specifics would be very helpful here.

Also, why in Heaven's name do you have a Tesla card? Are you using software other than the Creative Suite?

• 4. Re: What's next?

Hey Dave,

Do you think that is what is holding back my rendering and scrubbing?  I am odering a 120GB Sansung....They are on sale for about $100.

• 5. Re: What's next?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Depending on how you have other things in AE set up, yes, the hard drive cache could be the bottleneck. 

But I have to tell you: 120 gigs is going to fill up pretty quicky.  You'll find yourself deleting unwanted cache files frequently.

• 6. Re: What's next?

An SSD hard drive will help for many parts of AE functionality, the graphics card doesn't matter at all (well, HARDLY at all, unless you're using the ray traced 3d renderer, in which case it does matter).

I have been reading that a dedicated SSD for caching..is that what you are referring to or should I have a SSD for only the program to reside on?  Also with the caching other Adobe products have location settings to...should they all reside on this "dedicated" SSD of should it be left for only AE?

What, specifically are you doing in After Effects? How is it performing? How are you expecting it to perform? Specifics would be very helpful here.

sorry.,,i am new to AE and have been using it for about 6-8 months so my terminolgy will not be of standard.  I did an 8 second animation (which is a few layers, some vectors, some emmiter and particles..trapcodes).  My preview and pre-renders are at 1/4 resolution.  My final render is a full 1920x1280 avi.  This render look about 1.5 hours.  I would have expected the render to be quicker.  Also when closing and re-opening AE i thought the saved pre-render would load up so the srubbing or playback would be almost re-time.

Also, why in Heaven's name do you have a Tesla card? Are you using software other than the Creative Suite?

yes at the moment using for Blender...but also thought the "maximus" configuration would beef up AE...or at least according to NVidia's great videos.. (http://www.nvidia.com/object/maximus-media-entertainment.html)

• 7. Re: What's next?

MP?  what is that?

I appreciate your honesty.  I know I spent a lot of time and money on this and expected a better result.  To be honest I was looking to replicate a hign end Z920 without the 16K price tag.

What in CS7 do you think will make this any different for me?  and also I using blender....hoping to get into 3DSMax or Maya..

• 8. Re: What's next?

do you think 250GB will suffice?

• 9. Re: What's next?
                          Dave LaRonde Level 6

What in CS7 do you think will make this any different for me? 

That's crystal-ball stuff, and outside of San Jose, California and Seattle, Washington, those babies are in extremely short supply.

The people who may have an answer won't talk about it, and the people who do talk about it don't know the real answer.  Non-Disclosure Agreements, y'know....

• 10. Re: What's next?

Hey Dave are are some screens of my preferences....maybe something here is wrong.

4.PNG

5.PNG

• 11. Re: What's next?

MP?  what is that?

"Render Multiple Frames Simulatanuously" a.k.a. AE's said excuse for lack of a threaded renderer....

Mylenium

• 12. Re: What's next?

so should that be enabled?  I read somewhere that it can actually reduce your performance based of effects in your composition.

• 13. Re: What's next?

Yes, it can boost performance, but also yes, it can cost performcne. Look up some threads on this matter. All depends what effects, plug-ins, footage and so on is used.

Mylenium

• 14. Re: What's next?
                                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

All of the questions raised n this thread (and many more) are answered in those resources.