7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 11:32 AM by okchrisok

Indesign and missing links.

okchrisok

Hello, I am new to the cloud. I am currently working on a indesign file that has a bunch of links that sit on my employers server (at her home) When I open the file the links are there but once I upload the file to the cloud and try to open the file again the links go missing Should the links be up on the cloud as well, or what am I doing wrong? I must be missing a step along the way.

Thank you very much for the help in advance.

Chris.

• 1. Re: Indesign and missing links.
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

Moving from the Creative Cloud to the InDesign forum. They will be able to help you here.

You could use the Creative Cloud Connection and put all of the files in the Creative Cloud folder on your computer. That way links will work on your computer, and all of the files will get uploaded to the cloud storage. If you are previewing the files in your browser the links will not work there.

• 2. Re: Indesign and missing links.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

DO you have a connection tothe server? Links only go missing because ID can't find them where they are supposed to be, and that means either they got moved so the path is wrong, or ID can't follow the path that was given. This would have nothing to do with the cloud.

• 3. Re: Indesign and missing links.
              okchrisok Level 1

Thank you for moving this to the correct tread Ken, sorry I put it on the wrong one.

Peter thank you for your reply, I do have access to the server and all the paths are the same since the files are never moved.

This is what is happening:

I work on the file, fix the links by linking them to the server (located at my bosses home) then I upload the file to the cloud so my coworker can see it and edit some text, then she puts it back in the cloud and by the time I open it up again to make changes all the links are missing, the file name is still the same, the files I linked before uploading it to the cloud are still on the same server same file name same location same everything, and my coworker who opened the file from the cloud all she did was edits to the text, she also has access to the same server where all the links are stored (at my bosses home). Does this help?

I was thinking about packaging the file and upload that to the cloud but there are way too many files and I am not sure if I even need to do that because all the other solutions I can think of don't make sense.

Thank you for trying to help me figure this out, I apreciate it.

• 4. Re: Indesign and missing links.

Recheck the path that's listed for one of these missing links. Is it pointing to the server? Perhaps this is a case of translation between PC style path sytax and Mac syntax?

• 5. Re: Indesign and missing links.
                  okchrisok Level 1

Good moring Peter, when I look at the links they show as missing and they do point to the server, both me and my coworker are both using PC's  here is the info for just one of the missing links, in case it helps.

Link Info

Name12 12Dec ad (3).pdf
                  FormatAdobe PDF
                  Page6
                  StatusMissing
                  Size398.8 KB (408407 bytes)
                  Layer OverridesNo
                  CreatorAdobe InDesign CS4 (6.0.6)
                  Place DateThursday, January 31, 2013 12:08 PM
                  LayerLayer 1
                  ModifiedMonday, December 03, 2012 4:44 PM
                  PathK:display ads\12 12Dec ad (3).pdf
                  Creation DateMonday, December 03, 2012 2:00 PM
                  Scale97.5%
                  TransparencyNo

Here I have the file open and I am connected to the server and the links are there, if I re link the image and sync the file with the cloud the links go missing next time I open the file in my computer. Not sure why.

• 6. Re: Indesign and missing links.

Relink that file and take a look at the path statement.

My instinct is that ID on your PC is expecting a \ after K: and maybe there's a character missing in 12 12Dec ad (3).pdf. Is this ad really only one level down? Also, is K a mapped drive on both systems?

If the path is being mangled on the cloud, then I think it's a bug.

• 7. Re: Indesign and missing links.
                      okchrisok Level 1

Hey Peter,

So my coworker just got off the phone with a tech guy and apparently her machine has XP and it doesn't support syncing, so that right there is a problem, for now we are just going to go back to the old way of saving things directly to the server instead of the cloud at least until we get her problem fixed. The new machine I’m working was mapped out by a tech guy and I will have to ask him if he mapped it out correctly because, well he has made mistakes in the past but, thank you for noticing that, that might be the problem. Ummm let's see, yes the file name on that file is "correct" at least in the clients eye that's how they sent it to me. Thank you VERY MUCH for all your help Peter, these new leads I got from you will probably help me fix the problem.

Thanks again.

Chris.