8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2013 12:22 AM by jbelcher24 RSS

Need help adding a page to an existing website

jbelcher24

Hey guys....I'm, as the subject states, a newbie to Dreamweaver.  I am needing to add a page to an existing website.  Simple enough...or so it seems...anyway, I went to the site, copied the source coding, went back to Dreamweaver, pasted into the code box, and up pops the page I copied.  Great!  So then I make my changes so that the page states what I want it to say, link it to what I need to hyperlink it to, then try to upload the page back onto the server....and here's where I get lost...I go to the web to check the site, and the page that I copied and made my own is not there.  The link didn't work and the page is nowhere to be found.  I don't mind whatsoever telling any of the what the site is (not sure if I can do that here), but any help would be very grateful!!!  I'm not sure what I am doing wrong obviously.  Many, many thanks in advance for any help you can give me! 

Jim

• 1. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!
          jbelcher24 Community Member

By the way...I am using CS6. 

• 2. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!
            hans-g. CommunityMVP

Hi Jim,

here some links to forum's posts:

---------- del, unnecessary post, as it seems. ----------

Hans-Günter

• 3. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!
              cdeatherage Community Member

Jim, you wrote that you "[tried] to upload the page back to the server." Are you sure the file transfer completed properly? And are you sure you uploaded the revised file to the right directory on the server and that all the file paths are correct? And, presuming both answers are yes, did you refresh your browser? Maybe the cache is still displaying the over version despite the new one being in residence.

Just a couple of thoughts worth checking.

Chris

• 4. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!

Thank you for your help Chris.....One question...when you asked "...you sure you uploaded the revised file to the right directory on the server and that all the file paths are correct?"....What do you mean, or better yet, how can I tell if I did that correctly?  Yes...I know...My website intelligence is shining through right now (lol!), so please just bare with me.  Thank you again for your time...believe me, it is truly appreciated!!!

By the way, I looked on here, and others have posted websites, so I don't mind sharing with this forum the one I'm working on...www.superiorcareplus.com  

When you go onto the site, if you click at the top right (Alzheimer's & Dementia), you will see a link on the left that says "Becoming an Alzheimer's Whisperer"....if you click on that, it goes to a page that it is not supposed to.  I am trying to link "Becoming an Alzheimer's Whisperer" to a new page.  What I did was copy the code from another page within the sight and tried to change what's on that page into what I need it to say and then try to upload it back.  That's my plan anyway...it seems as though my plan sucks! LOL!!!  I hope this helps anyone trying to help me!  Thank you again Chris and Hans for trying to help!!!!

Jim

• 5. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!
                  osgood_ CommunityMVP

At the moment the link you refer to goes to the file ashby.php

http://www.superiorcareplus.com/ashby.php?s=1

Do you have a page named ashby.php in your site folder?

If you do copy that and make the changes you require. Save it as whisperer.php

Now you need to change the link from ashby.php to whisperer.php

<div class="leftMenu"><a class="menuLeft" href="ashby.php?s=1">Becoming an Alzheimer's Whisperer</a></div>

So it looks like this:

<div class="leftMenu"><a class="menuLeft" href="whisperer.php">Becoming an Alzheimer's Whisperer</a></div>

I'm not sure if it will work because the link has a variable (?s=1) after it but as the links all go to different pages the information probably isn't being fetched from a database. In other words all the pages appear to exist as individual pages. I don't know what 's' the variable refers to.

• 6. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!

Thank you for your help...unfortunately, I went by your directions and it still didn't work.  Your directions seems to be the most common sense way of doing things but I can't get it to work.  I have no idea what is going on and why I can't get that link to work and bring the page up that is needed.  If you think of anything else, please let m know...I'm banging my head against the wall over here.  Thank you for your time!!!

Jim

• 7. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!
                      cdeatherage Community Member

Jim, what I meant was to make sure that when you uploaded the new version of the file that the new file went into the proper folder, usually the root directory. If your root directory is in a folder on your host servce that is labeled "www" for example, that is where the file should be put. If the folder is labeled "htp_docs," that is where it goes. Etc. Sometimes, when I am using Dreamweaver's FTP connection to manage files by dragging and dropping between the local folder on my computer and the root directory on the host server, I have accidentally upload the new file into one of the sub-folders, like "Images" or "Scripts," when I was aiming for the root directory. I just thought perhaps that may have happened in your case.

How you can tell is to log onto your server via Dreamweaver's FTP and compare the files stored on the server with those in the local folder on your computer. Note that the time stamps may differ between the two because you may be in a different time zone than your server.

I think Osgood covered your other question. You mainly just need to check that all of the links are to the right files in the right place.

Chris

• 8. Re: Newbie to Dreamweaver...need help!

Hey guys...I finally figured it out with your help.  I want to thank all of you for your time that you have given to me.  I have had 2 questions on this site, and with both questions, I have had just wonderful and knowledgeable people who have tried to help me!  Thank you guys for being patient with those of us who are not nearly as skilled as you with this stuff!  To Chris, Osgood, and Hans...you guys rock!!!  Thanks so much!!!