1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 2:35 AM by PECourtejoie

Why doesn't rotation stick in CS6?

mbrakes

I just tried to rotate an image, pressing "R" for the rotate tool, getting the compass rose over the image, and then rotated the image by dragging 90 degress. So far so good. Then, I wanted to crop the image into a panorama proportion, by pressing "C" for crop tool - and voilá, the image jumps back into the original rotation, just like that. I have tried to press the Enter key after rotating, I have tried to save, I have tried to change to other tools inbetween, I have looked into the toolbar for clues but found none - I just can't understand what it is that I'm supposed to do to make the rotation stick. This is counterintuitive and drives me mad! Why, Adobe, WHY?! I have tried to google for answers but found none. Anybody out there that can please tell me what I'm supposed to do to make this work? Or am I simply experiencing a bug? Advance thanks for any clarification.

I'll just add that I managed to solve this temporarily by selecting rotate 90 degress from the menu and then cropping - but it doesn't really answer the question about why I can't do this visually by using the "R" command and dragging visually, then changing to the crop tool. It's just fortunate that there's often several ways to accomplish the same things in PS. So, I managed to work around it - but I'm still wondering why I couldn't make the rotation stick by using the method above. If I'd like to make a more arbitrary rotation then that seems like the way to do it - if it would stick.

Message was edited by: mbrakes

• 1. Re: Why doesn't rotation stick in CS6?
          PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Hello, rotating rotates the preview of your image, and it is not currently supported in the crop tool, or in some filters.

If you want to change permanently the orientation of your document, so that it will be reflected everywhere in Photoshop, or in other programs (especially if it is a 90 degrees rotation), do use:

IMAGE>IMAGE ROTATION> 90° CW or 90° CCW