18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 1:46 PM by nw42

converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray

seaspray07

Hello,

I am looking to put AVCHD video files (*.MTS) containing 5.1 audio and 2-channel (stereo) audio onto bluray.  I would like to convert the 2 channel audio to 5.1 audio, so that all of the files can be encoded onto bluray with 5.1 audio in Encore. I am using Premiere Pro CS6 version 6.0.3.  I have tried to bring the MTS files into Premiere Pro, and convert stereo audio to 5.1 using Audition.  However when the file is exported to Encore, upon transcoding there is no audio.    Please let me know what is the best way to resolve this.  Also, would I require something like Surcode plugin, or are there other ways to get around this?  Thanks.   

• 1. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Audio is exported from where, PP or AU?  And in what format?

• 2. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you will require the Minnetonka Audio SurCode DD 5.1 SS Plug-in, or similar, to Transcode to DD AC3 5.1 SS.

Also, you will want your Project to have a 5.1 Master, if using the SurCode plug-in.

For Stereo Stream to 5.1 (faux 5.1), there is a recent thread with some workflows and tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is one thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3788732#3788732

But there is a longer one around - just have to find it.

Hunt

• 4. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, this is the one that I was thinking of: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1136217?tstart=330

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                  seaspray07 Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  To clarify, I dropped the *.MTS file into a sequence in Premiere Pro CS6, right clicked on the clip and selected "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition."  This created an audio clip extracted in *.WAV format.  I then clicked on "Favorites," and selected "Convert to 5.1," which converted the wav file from stereo to 5.1 channels.  This modified wav file was used to replace the original wav file for the MTS file in the sequence in Premiere Pro.  The entire MTS file was then saved and exported from Premiere Pro to Encore, using Adobe Dynamic Link.

• 6. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                    seaspray07 Level 1

Thank you for your response and suggestions for using the Surcode plugin.  I will try this.  Basically I am looking for a simple way to combine MTS files containing Stereo and 5.1 audio tracks on the same disc medium. 

• 7. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                      nw42 Level 2

Hi seaspray07,

I don't understand why you send the audio to Audition...

If you want to mix 5.1 and stereo audio an a Premiere timeline you just create a timeline with 5.1 master audio and place all audio clips on it.

If you export this timeline to Quicktime you can set it to PCM uncompressed 5.1 or you can choose the Surcode plugin to create a Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded export.

All stereo files will get a automatic mixup from stereo to the 5.1 master audio.

In Premeier setup you can specify if you just like to set stereo to LRC or mix some level from L, R to Ls, Rs additionaly.

So you don't need to convert your stereo file by hand to 5.1 in Adobe Audition.

• 8. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

you just create a timeline with 5.1 master audio and place all audio clips on it.

Actually, one would create a Sequence with a 5.1 Master, drag the Source Files to the appropriate Audio Tracks, and "mix" those to the Master. The Master will not accept Clips, though can be used to prompt PrPro to create an appropriate Audio Track for a Clip, if one does not exist. One would drag that Clip to the top of the Master Audio Track, and the New Track, or the appropriate channel-count will be created, but the Clip will not go to the Master - just mix to the Master.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                          seaspray07 Level 1

Thanks for your responses.  I am not really trying to mix audio files alone.  The source files I have are MTS files (with both Video in 1080i, 29.97 fps, and Audio in either stereo or 5.1).  In PrPro, when I drop MTS files containing audio in Stereo into a sequence with 5.1 master, the video clip appears under the track labeled "Video 1" and the audio appears under the track labeled "Audio 1".  I am trying to combine a series of such clips, and convert the audio clip so it would appear under a track labeled "Audio x 5.1" such as "Audio 4 5.1".  After obtaining such a clip, I would like to (in Encore) combine the sequence containing the MTS video and modified audio alongside other MTS files containing Video in 1080i, 29.97 fps (as above), but this time with audio already in 5.1. I want to keep the Video quality as is, and only modify the stereo audio so that it can be transcoded alongside MTS files containing 5.1 audio. 

I sent the audio to Audition because I wanted to modify the audio file from stereo to 5.1, and bring it back into PrPro to combine with the video clip from the corresponding MTS file, so I was looking for the best way to do this.   Hope this clarifies.

• 10. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                            nw42 Level 2

"Hi seaspray07,

"Hope this clarifies."

sorry it doesn't -  it confuses me and I don't get why you want to do it this complicated way ;-)

1. If you have problems try to simplify your workflow. Why do you try to work with dynamic link in Encore? This isn't the classic route and I don't see why you need it in this case.

2. In a classical workflow you load  final encoded audio and video files in Encore - in this case a .m4v and a .ac3 file encoded in Adobe Media Encoder.

3. To get this files you create a Premiere timeline with 5.1 master audio and load your clips onto it.

For all 5.1 clips Premiere will create a 5.1 audio track. For all stereo clips Premiere will create a stereo audio rack.

--> Keep in Mind you can't export a premiere audio track. That isn't possible even though this would be handy in a lot of situations. You alway only export the master audio track of a timeline. That master audio track get's it input from all audio tracks of a timeline. If there is a 5.1 audio track 6 channes are mixed to the master audio - if it's only a stereo track only L, R get's mixed up to the 5.1 master.

The master audio track is what you can hear if you play back a timeline.

4. Why do you want to convert stereo audio tracks into 5.1 audio tracks in the timeline? It needs much more filesize/ ram slows down your playback and gives you a unhandy viewing with lots of emty audio channels... Why dont store and view a stereo track as a stereo track?

5. If you have placed your stereo and 5.1 audio tracks on the timeline you can export the final mix via Adobe Media Encoder with the Surcode plugin as Dolby Digital 5.1 .ac3

"I sent the audio to Audition because I wanted to modify the audio file from stereo to 5.1, and bring it back into PrPro to combine with the video clip from the corresponding MTS file..."

That doesn't make any sense... because Premiere does it automatically for you without Audition. You simply have to do nothing - just place your stereo clip on the timeline and ready.

If you want to use Audition you have to have a real reason for it - for example do extensive audio work and mastering Tasks - conform it to R128 loudness or something like that.

Does this make sense to you? ;-)

• 11. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                              seaspray07 Level 1

Thanks for the detail reply, and sorry for the confusion.  The above appears to make sense. I would prefer to use a simplified workflow. 

So, what I have are AVCHD (*.MTS) files from two different camcorders, one which is recording AVCHD files with 5.1 audio, and another which is recording AVCHD files with stereo audio.  Please let me know what is the simplest/best way to combine the two batches of AVCHD files onto a single bluray disc, withouth losing the 5.1 audio tracks on the AVCHD files which are originally recorded with 5.1 audio.  I was trying to encode AVCHD directly onto BluRay using Encore, but I cannot combine AVCHD with 5.1 audio with AVCHD with stereo tracks. 

Are you recommending that I make a PrPro sequence with 5.1 master audio, drop the AVCHD source files into the timeline (i.e. AVCHD files containing stereo and AVCHD files containing 5.1 audio), and then export this sequence from PrPro to Adobe Media Encoder?  Please clarify on how to best approach this.  Also, what would best the appropriate export settings for the m4v files (H.264 or MPEG-2)  

• 12. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                nw42 Level 2

Hi seaspray07,

"I was trying to encode AVCHD directly onto BluRay using Encore, but I cannot combine AVCHD with 5.1 audio with AVCHD with stereo tracks."

AVCHD isn't a valid codec for video bluray - you have to use MPEG2 or H.264 with Bluray compliant profile settings. Adobe Media Encoder has special presets for that.

"Are you recommending that I make a PrPro sequence with 5.1 master audio, drop the AVCHD source files into the timeline (i.e. AVCHD files containing stereo and AVCHD files containing 5.1 audio), and then export this sequence from PrPro to Adobe Media Encoder?"

Correct - that would be the way to go. But you have to check how it sounds if you intercut 5.1 with stereo - if that doesn't sounds good you have to conform the export to stereo to get a consistent mix... but that's a creative decision - technically you can mix it.

"Also, what would best the appropriate export settings for the m4v files (H.264 or MPEG-2)"

Adobe Media Encoder has special MPEG2 Bluray and H.264 Bluray encode settings to render Bluray compliant data.

H.264 Bluray would be the higher quality option for sure...

• 13. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

AVCHD isn't a valid codec for video bluray - you have to use MPEG2 or H.264 with Bluray compliant profile settings.

AVCHD actually uses the H.264 codec, and can be put onto Blu-ray directly off the camera, though not all players will handle such a disk.

• 14. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                    seaspray07 Level 1

Hello nw42,

Thanks for your reply.  I am trying to export the sequence from PrPro (containing the AVCHD source files) to Adobe Media Encoder.  When I go to export the file, only the MPEG-2 Bluray option allows one to select Surcode codec to encode the audio stream. The H.264 Bluray option does not provide an option to select Surcode.  Please let me know how to resolve this.  Should I select MPEG-2 Bluray or H.264 Bluray, or should I try something else.

Thanks

• 15. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                      nw42 Level 2

Oh correct - AVCHD on Bluray media is profile compliant to the Bluray-Disc standard.

But if it comes to editing a reencoding is needed anyway.

• 16. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                        nw42 Level 2

Hi seaspray07,

oh - that sounds like a bug and I would ask Surcode why their plugin doesn't works right.

I only use the standard plugin that can export Dolby Digital stereo and that is also available in the H.264 Bluray export options. (for 5.1 I use a external encoder application - that would also the way to get DTS Master Audio)

But if you can access it from the MPEG2 menu that also will work. You export so called "unmultiplexed" streams for Bluray authoring. That means export video only H.264 Bluray as .m4v and then export audio only from the MPEG2 Menu and select Surcode .ac3

As a result you will get separate audio .ac3 and video .m4v to directly import in Encore with "dont transcode" setting.

If you do so you can create a Bluray on the fly because Encore only needs to write the Bluray image - no encoding involved at all...

• 17. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                          seaspray07 Level 1

Hello nw42,

I  have dropped the AVCHD files containing stereo and 5.1 audio into PrPro and have exported video using the H.264 Bluray option, and exported audio using the MPEG-2 for Bluray option using Surcode plugin.  I now have separate audio .ac3 and video .m4v files.  Now, when I import these ac3 and m4v files into encore, alongside unaltered MTS files (with 5.1 audio), I get a sequence with the ac3 and m4v file, but only the video track from the unaltered MTS file shows up.  In PrPro, if I import the ac3 and m4v file alongside the unaltered MTS files (with 5.1 audio), the sequence shows the audio tracks from the ac3 file and the unaltered MTS file as both having 5.1 audio.

Please let me know how to resolve this.   Do I need to import the ac3 and m4v files into Adobe Media Encoder prior to using them in Encore? If so, do I import the ac3 and m4v files separately, or as a single sequence set up in PrPro.

Thanks

• 18. Re: converting 2 channel audio from AVCHD to 5.1 audio for bluray
                                            nw42 Level 2

Hi seaspray07,

--> You don't see the 5.1 audio of native .MTS imported files in Encore?

Oh yes this could be... I think there isn't a working import module...

I think you should get some more ifos about what Adobe Encore exactly is and how it works:

- Adobe Encore is a "semipro" DVD & Bluray Authoring App - that means it's not optimized for "dragging some MTS files onto it" but more for projects where every media asset is externaly prepared and preencoded. If you start to drag and drop file to a project things become tricky...

Im sure there are Apps out there that are better suited to just brun some MTS files on a Bluray together.

A lot of the media import and encoding options in Encore are a bit old, tricky and low quality sometimes. If you want to get good results preencode your assets in Adobe Media Encoder.

For example: If you load two clips with two .ac3 audio tracks on a Encore timeline they have to be reencoded on "Build Disc" Don't do that...

Prepare one video and one audio clip per timeline that are already preencoded and link multiple timelines to jump from a trailer to the main video or so.

Don't try to use Encore as a video editing application - do that inside Adobe Premiere instead.

"Do I need to import the ac3 and m4v files into Adobe Media Encoder prior to using them in Encore?"

No: Because .ac3 and .m4v is what Adome Media Encoder exports not what is loaded in

Yes: Do all editing in Premiere export via Media Encoder to .ac3 and .m4v

No: Never load a .ac3 back into editing - .ac3 is a lossy compressed format resaving a .ac3 to .ac3 again will result in poor audio quality.

For editing use PCM uncompressed audio all the time.

Work like so:

Native Camea File  --> Adobe Premiere --> Adobe Media Encoder --> .ac3 / .m4v --> Adobe Encore --> Bluray .ISO --> Bluray burning software