4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2006 11:45 AM by johnmccallum

Links to local PDF files not working

DH2000
      Hi all.

I am using RoboHelp HTML X5 to generate Microsoft help and I simply can't seem to get it working other than inserting a button using HTML help controls > Shortcut. I don't like the button look in this case, so here I am.

I have read through numerous posts and tried different things and the bottom line either the link doesn't work at all (can not click on it) or I get an Unable to start *.PDF or, the most famous of all: "The page can not be displayed"

I have tried several things, including adding the files to the baggage area (and not having them in there) and so on. No luck. I have even gone so far as to reduce my security settings, but I can't seem to go below Medium for internet and Medium-low for local. Note I even tried creating a file from scratch to ensure no extra "goodies" were present.

I really don't care if the file is embedded within the CHM or if it is external; I just want it to work.

By the way: when I compile using HTML help workshop, it works like a charm!

Thanks,

Dan
        • 1. Re: Links to local PDF files not working
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Dan and welcome to our community

See if the link below helps any.

Click here to read the article...

Note that there are multiple parts to this.

Post back if any of it is unclear... Rick
          • 2. Re: Links to local PDF files not working
            DH2000 Level 1
            Hi Rick.

Thanks for replying, but as I said earlier, I do not want to use a Shortcut, but wish to only link to the PDF. The more I think about it, the more I believe I wish to embed the PDF inside the CHM file, so long as it preserves the formatting and launches Adobe when the link is clicked. Is there any way to do this? If not, is there a simple way to launch an HTML file that contains the PDF links or maybe even an explorer window? I am not willing to use scripts due to most of my users having very high security settings on thier computer.

Thanks,

Dan
            • 3. Re: Links to local PDF files not working
              As I understand it you can add the pdf as a baggage file then use a relative url to reference it. It's worked for me in the past.
              • 4. Re: Links to local PDF files not working
                Level 2
                Dan,

.pdfs have always been quirky and the only reliable way I've gotten them to open is with scripts but since you want to avoid scripts it seems the only solution is right there in your first post - "when I compile using HTML help workshop, it works like a charm!" I always use HTML Help Workshop to compile, though I use RoboHelp for organizing and editing my project. Is there any reason you cannot use this solution?

John