12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2013 10:38 AM by Jeff Bellune RSS

Exporting to tape

JimAlexBlacklock

When I try to export to tape the "tape" function is greyed out. I have exported to tape many times before using exactly the same equipment. What do I need to do to activate the "tape" option ? 

• 1. Re: Exporting to tape
          SAFEHARBOR11 MVP

Try turning off the Mercury Hardware GPU acceleration, set it to Software mode.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Exporting to tape
            JimAlexBlacklock Community Member

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response. However in Project Settings under Video Rendering and Playback there doesn't seem to be an option. I can see the Mercury Playback Engine already greyed out but there is no option to select anything else or do anything with it.

Jim

• 3. Re: Exporting to tape
              SAFEHARBOR11 MVP

Hi Jim,

So you must not have an Nvidia display card. When in "Software only" mode with no Nvidia available, the option will be grayed out, that is normal. Had suggested to look at that because Export to DV does not work in GPU mode.

Let's back up then and start at the beginning - Mac or PC? Camera or deck being used? What kind of Export - DV, HDV?

Is the computer "seeing" your camera/deck? If connected via 1394, when you power up the VTR, does the computer beep or show a pop-up that the camera has been connected?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 4. Re: Exporting to tape

Hi Jeff,

PC, Windows 7, camcorder Panasonic NV-MX350, DV. When I connect the camera to the 1394 card PC beeps and brings up a panel showing options. Have also captured using Scenalyzer so computer is seeing camera.

I have, many times, exported to tape but currently the option is greyed out !

JIm

• 5. Re: Exporting to tape

It would seem to me that for a Video Editing Programme , being able to get video in and out of the computer is fairly fundamental so it must be a matter of settings or Premiere not being able to find what it needs to export to tape so I've been trying to think what I could have done to change the settings.

There are only four possibilities that come to mind:

1. I've installed the updates that Microsoft send for Windows.

2. I've installed the upgrades that Adobe send for Premiere.

3. I've ibstalled and ran Auslogics Disc Defrag programme to tidy up my hard files.

4. I've installed and ran Auslogics Registry Cleaner to tidy up my registers.

Couls any of these be the culprit and what can I do to fix the problem. My CS5 is an upgrade from 6.5 but I do have the two CD's for that original upgrade.

• 6. Re: Exporting to tape

I have discovered that I can record to the camcorder using Scenalyzer. That being the case it looks like my expensive video editing programme is the problem in stopping me from exporting to tape. Has anyone any idea what the problem is and how I can fix it.

Would Premiere engineers get involved in a situation like this ?

• 7. Re: Exporting to tape

This topic seems to have gone incredibly quiet. I really need some help on this if anyone has any ideas.

• 8. Re: Exporting to tape
                        Jeff Bellune ACP

I have, many times, exported to tape but currently the option is greyed out !

What's different now?  Can you play the timeline and have it show up on the camera?  Also, what version of Premiere Pro?

Jeff

EDIT: Please go through all the steps listed in this help topic:

Adobe Premiere Pro * Exporting to videotape

That's just to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

• 9. Re: Exporting to tape

I have used the procedure  under "Exporting to videotape"

I didn't think there was anything different. I have run a registry programme (see my earlier post).

I can play the timeline and it shows up on the camera. I can also record to tape using Scenalyzer. I can also record to tape by simultaneously pressing play & record on the camera remote control.

I have CS5 version 5.0.3

• 10. Re: Exporting to tape
                            Jeff Bellune ACP

I can play the timeline and it shows up on the camera.  I can also record to tape by simultaneously pressing play & record on the camera remote control.

That's good. 

I don't know why Export to Tape is dimmed if you've followed all of the steps in the help document link from my last post, but at least you have a way to get your timeline to tape.

Jeff

• 11. Re: Exporting to tape

Hi Jeff,

I do at least have a way of getting the video to tape but I do feel that when you have an editing programme like CS5 you should be able to export to tape using the function that comes with the programme. I was forced to upgrade to CS5 when 6.5 would not work on my new “Windows 7” computer. It was not an inexpensive upgrade. It’s all very disappointing. The strange thing is that it has worked in the past and therefore something must have changed but there must be a way of restoring the function.

Jim

• 12. Re: Exporting to tape
                                Jeff Bellune ACP

it has worked in the past and therefore something must have changed but there must be a way of restoring the function.

Unfortunately, that's true only if you can figure out what's changed and can figure out how to roll back the changes.  Since Export to Tape worked for you before, it may take a lot of research and effort on your part to restore that function. 

You can try launching Premiere Pro while holding down the Shift+Alt keys until the Welcome screen appears.  Shift resets the plug-in cache, and Alt resets your preferences.  That may be enough to fix the issue for you.  I would be less optimistic if Export to Tape had never worked.

Jeff