3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 1:27 PM by KyleHall

Upgrade to Windows 8 - questions?

DeePeeBee Level 1

I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my media desktop from Windows 7 Pro to Window 8 Pro.  I bought the specially priced download version (which should even upgrade a Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro). I have a couple of questions before I undertake the upgrade.

1.  Windows 8 does not support DVD playing. Does that mean that my optical drive will stop working after the install program deletes the Windows 7 install and I will have to purchase separate DVD playing software? Will the optical drive continue to function to load the Windows 8 software?

2.  I have a 4HDD RAID0 installed, if I do a "keep nothing, custom install," of Windows 8 upgrade, will that break the RAID?

3.  Will I lose the drivers that I installed when I built the computer (Intel RAID, graphics card, etc.)?

4.  Will I lose the overclocking setup that I have created?

5.  If I wanted to do the "cleanest" install, would I need to purchase a full install DVD version of Windows 8 (and use the upgrade on another computer)? Would that involve wiping the C drive? Would this then break the raid?

6.  Will a full Windows 8 install from a DVD automatically load the Intel RAID drivers? Would I still need to separately load the Intel drivers for the RAID during the Windows install?? If so, will my optical drive work to do that or will I need to put the Intel driver software onto a USB flash drive??

7.  Has anyone successfully installed a Windows 8 upgrade and found that there are no problems in using Adobe CS6 software from the Adobe Cloud?

8.  On my media computer, I have installed only the necessary Adobe programs and a handful of diagnostic packages.  For a "clean install" upgrade should I reload each of them (hoping I can find all of the keys)? That's relatively easy. But on my business computer, I have a ton of software, some of which is NOT compatible with Windows 8 and some of which is annotated, "Paid upgrade available ", for instance Microsoft Office 2007!!  I would cost hundreds of $$ to upgrade everything to work with Windows 8.

9.  Is it worthwhile to upgrade the computer on which I use only Adobe CS6 software and diagnostic tools?

10. Is it worthwhile to upgrade a general purpose computer with significant "obsolete" but eminently usable software?

11. I also have a laptop (I use for the new Adobe Prelude + lots of other stuff, especially e-mail) that will require a BIOS upgrade because the current BIOS does not support something called "NX". Is it worthwhile to upgrade the BIOS and do a "keep nothing install". I admit to having a lot of junk that should be cleaned up anyway.

I thought this was going to be easy, and the software only cost $40 (the offer expired yesterday), but I am having second thoughts and would be interested in the experience others have had.

Thanks,

Dorothy

• 1. Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 - questions?
          ptl-2010

1. You will have to install something like VLC player, or something similar that is free

2. If you do a clean install you may lose your drivers

3. If you do a clean install you may lose your drivers

4. No, unless you have this setup through software instead of the BIOS

5. As long as you have no real issues with your system, you can do an upgrade and clean up the old windows 7 files. I did this myself and have no left over junk, just a clean version of windows 8. No drivers lost, no problems at all. This would allow you to keep the RAID intact without losing the driver.

6. Certain things do not need special drivers to work, like your SATA ports and USB 2.0 headers. You may have to install chipset specific drivers after the install, I would advise putting all of these on a USB drive or DVD before upgrading/installing the new OS.

7. can't answer that myself.

8. I would suggest doing the upgrade over the clean install, as your software would be unnafected except if it is compatable. If you software is not compatable with windows 8, search and see if anyone has run it successfully with windows 8, or do not upgrade to windows 8.

9. That's personal preference, there are some slight performance increases with windows 8, the major difference is the itnerface

10. No, not unless that software can be run in windows 8, otherwise you will not be able to use that software

11. Yes, you should always keep the BIOS up to date, and a clean install would be best if you have a lot of stuff to claen up.

I hope this helps and hope someone else can chime in to assist you moreso.

• 2. Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 - questions?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

2. I did not lose my RAID 1 setup during the upgrade (configured via motherboard).

7. Yes.

9. If it's time to wipe and reinstall (something you should do every once in a while), then I'd say yes.  But if everything is working fine, wait until the system needs to be cleaned.

10. Same as 9.

• 3. Re: Upgrade to Windows 8 - questions?
              KyleHall Level 1

DeePeeBee wrote:

I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my media desktop from Windows 7 Pro to Window 8 Pro.  I bought the specially priced download version (which should even upgrade a Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro). I have a couple of questions before I undertake the upgrade.

1. Windows 8 does not support DVD playing. Does that mean that my optical drive will stop working after the install program deletes the Windows 7 install and I will have to purchase separate DVD playing software? Will the optical drive continue to function to load the Windows 8 software?
                1. Your optical drive will continue to work.
                2. You can purchase the media center addon which re-enables DVD playback or use a 3rd party player like VLC or POT PLAYER
                3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-packs
              2. I have a 4HDD RAID0 installed, if I do a "keep nothing, custom install," of Windows 8 upgrade, will that break the RAID?
                1. If you set your RAID in the bios it should be fine.
              3. Will I lose the drivers that I installed when I built the computer (Intel RAID, graphics card, etc.)?
                1. Yes if you do a clean install, but this is a good thing so you can install the latest drivers craeated for win8
              4. Will I lose the overclocking setup that I have created?
                1. If it is set in software yes, in bios no.
              5. If I wanted to do the "cleanest" install, would I need to purchase a full install DVD version of Windows 8 (and use the upgrade on another computer)? Would that involve wiping the C drive? Would this then break the raid?
                1. I don't think you need the DVD (unsure)
              6. Will a full Windows 8 install from a DVD automatically load the Intel RAID drivers? Would I still need to separately load the Intel drivers for the RAID during the Windows install?? If so, will my optical drive work to do that or will I need to put the Intel driver software onto a USB flash drive??
                1. Optical drive will work, USB install is faster, and it depends on the raid drivers.
              7. Has anyone successfully installed a Windows 8 upgrade and found that there are no problems in using Adobe CS6 software from the Adobe Cloud?
                1. I had problems and had to do a clean install
              8. On my media computer, I have installed only the necessary Adobe programs and a handful of diagnostic packages.  For a "clean install" upgrade should I reload each of them (hoping I can find all of the keys)? That's relatively easy. But on my business computer, I have a ton of software, some of which is NOT compatible with Windows 8 and some of which is annotated, "Paid upgrade available ", for instance Microsoft Office 2007!!  I would cost hundreds of $$ to upgrade everything to work with Windows 8.
                1. This is a statement?
              9. Is it worthwhile to upgrade the computer on which I use only Adobe CS6 software and diagnostic tools?
                1. Not really but it is nice to have the latest and greatest.
              10. Is it worthwhile to upgrade a general purpose computer with significant "obsolete" but eminently usable software?
                1. Nope.
              11. I also have a laptop (I use for the new Adobe Prelude + lots of other stuff, especially e-mail) that will require a BIOS upgrade because the current BIOS does not support something called "NX". Is it worthwhile to upgrade the BIOS and do a "keep nothing install". I admit to having a lot of junk that should be cleaned up anyway.
                1. Yes but BIOS upgrades can be dangerous make sure you have a full battery and no background software running.