2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 12:18 PM by RjL190365

Need Build Advice/Critique Please

particlerealities

This is my first post here so I'll start with a little info about myself and my video editing needs.  I'm an amateur when it comes to Adobe Premiere.  I used Vegas for a few videos.  I now have a subscription to the Creative Cloud, and have made a few videos in the past for work (taking 3D animations and splicing segments together, adding a couple logos, effects, etc. - nothing too fancy) as well as a couple for personal use.  My edits consist mostly of splicing video clips (from my Canon 60D DSLR), overlaying a music track, then sticking an intro at the beginning...  Nothing fancy.  I'd certainly like to do better and increase my skillset, create better intros, etc...

Aside from my 8-5, I run a successful home based leather holster business in my spare time.  But, making holsters is a TON of work, so...  early on, I made a few tutorial videos available via online rental (pay a few bucks, get viewing access for 24 hours).  They sold pretty well, but when I upgraded my website I couldn't get the rental system to work so I decided to make them freely avaialble on YouTube and try monetizing them with little success so far.  With my new videos, I might like to switch back to the rental system if I can make it work on my website.

My videos are generally just tutorials intended to teach people how to make leather holsters and other leather items - I guess you'd say I'm a YouTube'r, though I only have a handfull of videos out there currently (my current computer ran out of storage space and it's too old and slow to be of much use).  My family photo collection is around 100GB and growing (3 young kids).  I use Photoshop pretty heavily at work, and will use it at home, though less intensively (cleaning up pattern scans, editing photos, etc.).

To give you an idea of the type of videos I've made, and will likely continue to make (hopefully gradually better over time once I can afford better lighting, etc.), you can look here:

http://www.adamsleatherworks.com/hows-it-made/

Anyway, I'm certainly no pro editor, and I don't have a ton of money to spend, so please take a look at this list and let me know what you think....

Motherboard - ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 - $220

CPU - Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz LGA 2011 - $230

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600 - $100

Drive C (OS & Programs) - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - $120

Drive D (Media & Projects, Photos, Documents, etc.) - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB - $90

Drive E (Page-file, Exports) - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - $120

Drive F (Swap, Previews) - OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD - $120

Drive G (Backup of D drive) - debating on just using my WD Passport external drive for now (free, for now)

Optical Drive - LG 14x SATA Blu-ray interal rewriter - $80

Case - Fractal Design Define R4 ATX Mid Tower - $125

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G 750W 80 Plus Gold - $140

CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro H100 - $105

Extra Fans (2) - Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm - $16.25 each

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB - $220

OS - Windows 8 Pro 64bit - $140

Media Card Reader - Kingston FCR-HS3 15-in-1 USB 3.0 - $27

Mouse/Keyboard - Logitech MK550 Wireless - $65

Monitors (2) - 23" to 24" matching LCD screens @ 1920x1080 - $170 each

The total for that list is around $2,345, almost exclusively from www.newegg.com, with just a couple items from Amazon.  Please bear in mind it includes new monitors and a mouse/keyboard combo.  I want big monitors, but they don't have to be stellar performers.  Color accuracy (while desired) isn't critical.  I'm not a wedding photographer or anything like that...

I'm not sure if I need to be using RAID 1 on the D: drive - I'm pretty good about backing up my files to my WD Passport.  I don't know that I need RAID 0 for speed since I'm not doing a ton of editing, nor will my timelines have many layers to them.  I think RAID 10 is a little overkill for someone like me, but I'm open to input from others.

Lastly - I'm curious what the routine is for recovering space on your "D" drive once you've edited and ouput your videos.  I look at all these YouTube'ers that have hundreds of hour long videos and always wonder what kind of storage system they have in place - I ask, but they never answer!  I'm leaning towards archiving my current videos to blu-ray discs, then deleting them from my drives...?  Or should I store my "business" related videos on a dedicated drive, back it up via RAID 1, then migrate those to larger drives as time goes on and never actually delete/remove any of my videos?  I have little experience with RAID, so I'm not sure what the actual process is for migrating to larger drives.

Anyway, enough rambling, and I look forward to whatever help you folks can provide.

Thanks,

Eric Adams