6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2013 3:36 PM by Genevieve Laroche

Form data missing when export to Word/Excel

Michelle@vetoutreach

I am new to using Forms Central, and have created fillable PDFs that I email out and once completed are sent back to me.

I can open them and see the completed form fields, however when I export, only the basic form questions and options show up.

Once I know how to export the data to excel, I would also like to know how to collate the data from multiple forms into 1 excell spreadsheet.

Thank you.

Michelle

• 1. Re: Form data missing when export to Word/Excel
          Brian Havlin Adobe Employee

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about your workflow:

1. Are the completed PDFs emailed back to you or are they submitted to the FormsCentral server?

2. If the PDFs are emailed back to you, are you performing the export operation within Adobe Acrobat?

It would be helpful if you could provide an example form by emailing it to formscentral_feedback@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Brian

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Form data missing when export to Word/Excel
            Brian Havlin Adobe Employee

Thanks, Michelle.

To export the form data for analysis within Excel, you should do the following:

1. Launch Adobe Acrobat

2. Open the Forms section of the Tools pane then navigate to and select the "Merge Data Files into Spreadsheet..." menu item

menuitem.png

3. In the "Export Data From Multiple Forms" dialog, click the "Add Files" button and select one or more of your completed forms

exportdialog.png

4. Click the "Export" button then select a location for the .csv file that contains the form data

5. The .csv generated by Acrobat can be opened in Excel as the source of a new Workbook or imported into an existing Workbook

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Regards,

Brian

• 3. Re: Form data missing when export to Word/Excel
              ThomasDalbert

I have a follow up question: Is there any way to influence the order that the fields are exported to the CSV file? As far as I can tell so far, it is exported in the sequence that the fields were created but is there a way that I can move the export of the values to an earlier position if I add an extra field to the PDF file?

Thanks for any help.

Thomas

• 4. Re: Form data missing when export to Word/Excel
                Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

The only thing you can do is change the column order (drag and drop the columns) in the Response Table before you export

Gen

• 5. Re: Form data missing when export to Word/Excel
                  ThomasDalbert Level 1

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Response Table"? I'm using the tool "More Form Options > Manage Form Data > Merge Data Files into Spreadsheet". Is there somewhere a "Response Table" where I can change order of the columns? Or did you mean to change the columns after I open it in Excel?

The form has a couple of hundred data fields so changing the sequence of the columns in Excel is not really an option.

Trying different ways of creating and/or modifying the PDF form leads me to believe that the order of the exported fields is completely random. I do not see any pattern based on creation time of the field, order on the form, tab order, or anything like that.

The only solution I currently have is to create an intermediate database in FileMaker to import the data into and then to export it again in a specific sequence. I could also export it as XML and then write an XSLT file to transform the XML file - but again: pretty laborious for a simple task like this.

Thanks,

Thomas

• 6. Re: Form data missing when export to Word/Excel
                    Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

Sorry I thought you were collecting data using FormsCentral. I see now that this is not the case. You might want to try to post your question on the Acrobat Form forum. I do not know of anyway to change the order the fields are getting exported in Acrobat

http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/forms

Gen