9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 8:57 AM by John T Smith

Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?

KittyKingdom Level 1

I imported a video from a DVD into Elements.  The image quality of the imported video was significantly worse than the DVD image when viewing the DVD.  This was true even after rendering it.  What do I need to do to preserve the DVD image quality when importing it?  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specfications of the Project's Preset, chosen at New Project?

Remember that the video in a DVD-Video's VOB will be heavily compressed to MPEG-2 to begin with, and then, when you go to output that Project's Timeline, if you go with any other heavily compressed format/CODEC, such as to burn another DVD-Video, the quality will suffer, yet again, as it did, when the original material was compressed to work on the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you saying that you took a DVD and imported it into Premiere Elements -- and that the video when played in Premiere Elements isn't as good as on the originl DVD?

It's at all clear what workflow you're describing -- or even what version of the program you're talking about.

Please describe what you're doing, step by step.

• 3. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
              KittyKingdom Level 1

Steve/Bill:   Thanks for your replies.  I am new to all of this and appreciate your patience.

Yes, I took a DVD and imported it into Premiere Elements 11.  And the video when played in Elements 11 is not as good as on the original DVD.   I created the original DVD in Elements 11 and it looked good on both the computer and on a big screen TV.  However, when I imported that same DVD into a new project in Elements to do something else with it, the video quality after importing it was pretty bad.

The reason I used this approach is that I'm doing stop gap animation and had 2,500 still pics in Elements which was bogging it down since it viewed each picture as a separate clip.  I was getting "very low system memory" messages even though my computer hard drive has plenty of memory - so I concluded that Elements itself must be hitting its limits. 

So by burning the DVD it turned 2,500 video clips into one video clip - less for Elements to keep track of and no memory problems.  I then played the DVD on the TV and it looked very good.  But when I used the same DVD to import my (now single) video clip into Elements (so I could work on audio, etc. without memory issues) - the image quality after importing it was very low.

To partially answer Bill's question,  I do not recall being prompted by Elements to make a Preset Selection at the New Project stage.  Perhaps the program went with some default?

Again - thank you both for your continued input.

• 4. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that information.

Going back to the original PrE Project, the one with the Still Images, do you still have that Project available?

If so, the better workflow would be to Open that Project, and then output to a DV-AVI file, instead of burning a DVD-Video. That maintains much higher quality, than the MPEG-2 DVD files in the DVD-Video. DV-AVI is only slightly compressed, and is almost visually lossless. One has to look very closely, and study very carefully, to see that loss. That DV-AVI will Import seamlessly into a DV Project (NTSC, or PAL, depending on where you live), and can be edited with ease.

When one compresses to MPEG-2 DVD, much quality is lost, and can never be recovered, however that MPEG-2 is the ONLY format for a DVD-Video - no way around that. It is good, in the DVD-Video, but when one goes to edit that material, there will be a loss. There are several reasons for the loss, but to keep from boring you with details, let's just say that it's because of the heavy compression applied at MPEG-2 DVD.

Now, you can see what the Properties of your Project (the new one) is, and that information can be helpful. If it's an ideal for the MPEG-2 material, then you might get acceptable results, but still far below that of the DV-AVI workflow, that I mentioned above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
                  KittyKingdom Level 1

Thanks!  How do I output to a DV-AVI file?  The Publish and Share feature in PE11 doesn't seem to have that as an option.  It shows AHCVD as an option (I don't know if you can use DVD-R discs to save that on or if you need some other special disk just for AHCVDs) -- is AHCVD similar to DV-AVI?  Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
                    BobSomr Level 1

If I could be so bold, I just went through this.  Hit "Share", then "Computer", then look carefully for a scroll bar to the right of the AVCHD (and others) selection.  If you scroll down, there will be "DV-AVI for importing into Premier Elements projects".

On the question about settings for your project; When you "File, New Project", the window that opens up will tell you what it defaults to, and it's not what you want.  Hit the "Settings" button and pick your pleasure.

• 8. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Bob,

I think that you have steered Kitty in the correct direction. The scroll bar, to the right, is very hard to see, and does not stand out at all. Many people miss it completely. The Scroll-Down, should reveal the DV-AVI option.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why does imported DVD image deteriorate?
                        John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why not edit mpeg http://tangentsoft.net/video/mpeg/edit.html is also true for trying to edit a VOB