5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 11:47 AM by John Danek RSS

Where did my most recent saved files go?

Rhondajred

I have been working on a project all week, including today. I saved my project again today at 5:00 p.m. closed Illustrator and went to dinner. Came back home, logged into Illustrator at 6:30 p.m. and my project is not there. When I go into "open recent files" the only files that come up are dated last week. This was due tonight. Help!

• 1. Re: Where did my most recent saved files go?
          [scott] Community Member

Search your hard drive? Look in the directory you saved it to?

• 2. Re: Where did my most recent saved files go?
            Rhondajred Community Member

Thank you Scott. I have looked everywhere. The sad thing is that I have

been working on this project all week-every day-and obviously saving it

every day. I opened it up this evening for awhile and then closed out of

Illustrator and went to dinner. An hour and a half later I opened

Illustrator and my files for this week are not in there at all. "Open most

recent files" shows my most recent file was last week. These files aren't

in "My pictures" either. The weirdest thing (besides them just disappearing

altogether) is that even my file names for last week aren't correct.They

are " LastName_FirstName_W1A1"," LastName_First_Name_W1A2", etc., but they

are showing as "W1A1", "W2A2", etc right now.  (In "Open recent files").

• 3. Re: Where did my most recent saved files go?
              [scott] Community Member

Forget about "open recent files" look on the drives.

Files don't traditionally disappear from a hard drive. Although Illustrator internal recent file menu may not be correct. I've never seen a case where Illustrator deleted a file from a hard drive. In fact, I don't think that's even possible if you wanted to.

• 4. Re: Where did my most recent saved files go?
                Rhondajred Community Member

I searched c drive and explorer. They are not there. I looked in recycle

bin and have old stuff but not these files. Recovery point is the 21st so

that won't work. My point about "open recent files" is not only are my

recent files not showing in there, but the stuff that is in there isn't

showing correctly. The names are messed up.

• 5. Re: Where did my most recent saved files go?
                  John Danek Community Member

Have you tried finding it using Adobe Bridge?  That would be next best thing to use besides Illustrator.  If you have the file name, you could, in addition to Bridge, do a Find > File Name.  I did a test with my Illustrator.  I saved a file I just finished working on. Quit Illustrator ( which sounds like what you did when you went to dinner ).  Then, we launched Illustrator and did a standard File > Open.  Illustrator went back to the same directory I had been in before I quit.  So, I don't understand why Illustrator would not go to the same directory upon relauch and upon File > Open?

I know this does not help you now, but next time just do a save and leave everything open, just put the computer to sleep until you get back.