3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2013 2:12 PM by 99jon

Updates

Tom @ BCA

Every time I open Photoshop Elements, it updates the program for about 45 minutes.  How do I stop automatic updates?

• 1. Re: Updates
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Tom

There are a couple of things you can do to prevent updating and indexing and generally improve performance. Use the Organizer main menu.

(1) Go to:

Edit >> Preferences >> Media-Analysis

Uncheck all the boxes and click OK

(2) Then go to:

File >> Watch Folders

Uncheck the box at the top “Watch Folders and their Sun-Folders for New Files” and click OK

This should stop all the automatic updating but you will then need to import all future images manually.

• 2. Re: Updates
            Tom @ BCA Level 1

I followed your instructions and it did not fix the problem.  I started the program today and the first thing it did was update the organizer.   This is maddening.   I can never get onto this program to just to look at pictures without it taking 40 minutes to update.

How do I stop automatic updates????

Tom Bates

Thomas W. Bates & Associates, LLC

Certified Public Accountants

80 Maple Street

Stoneham, MA   02180

T: 781-438-6655

F: 781-438-7909

www.TWBatesCPA.com<http://www.twbatescpa.com/>

U.S. Treasury Circular 230 Notice: Any tax advice contained in the body of this e-mail was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by the recipient for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify me via return e-mail and permanently delete the original and destroy all copies.

• 3. Re: Updates
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try disabling the service via the control panel.

Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >>Administrative Tools

Find Services and double click to open.

Highlight Adobe Active File Manager V11 and in the left hand column and click Stop the service

Alternatively right click on the AAFM and choose properties. Change Startup type, click Apply then click OK.

Close Windows and reboot.

N.B. substitute your own version number if different to PSE11