Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I get "General Error" when running in MSN games in ie9

Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is intermittent.  I have tried all the remedies for Flash Player on the help page. No help, problem persists.  Everything seems to be going fine and Flash Player locks up, becomes non responsive and the "General Error" page pops up.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this specific to the Flash Player 11.7 beta, or are you seeing it in other versions.  (You can check the installed version by right-clicking on some Flash content and looking at the bottom of the context menu that opens.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening through several versions. Happened in 9 and 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just making sure, we're talking about Flash Player 9 and 10, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are talking about Flash Player 9 and 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Using Flash Player, as this isn't specific to the Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible, please post a screenshot of this page so we can try to see what's going on.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209263

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will take a screen shot and post it the next time the problem occurs.  I really appreciate your taking an interest in this problem.  I have taken all the steps indicated on the MSN games site regarding "General Errors".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not experienced this problem since updating to version 11.6.602.180.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most helpful thing for me in terms of figuring out what's going on is to  look at some crash logs (for crashes in current versions).

To enable crash logging, add the following line to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg using a text editor (notepad):

CrashLogEnable=1

After the crash, you should be able to find a crash report at:

WindowsXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp"

Vista and Higher: "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\"

The filename will be player_crash_log_<number>.mdmp  They're pretty big, and there may be more than one.  Just check the date and time to make sure you're grabbing the right one(s). 

Send Chris or I a private message and we'll give you a location to upload it.  If you can collect a couple, that would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Jeromie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to implement the CrashLogEnable=1, but I cannot be sure it is really in the cfg file because I cannot break the security on the Macormed\Flash folder.  I am an experienced windows user and know how to manipulate the file and folder properties.  But even running notepad with administror privleges does not allow saving the cfg file with the crashlog value set when the file is reopened with notepad.  I am still having the problem were my game crashes intermittenlty.  No crash dumps have been generated when failures have occurred in the last few days.  Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the file is in use, although it's typically only read when Flash Player first starts up.  You might just reboot to make sure that anything keeping it locked exits and releases it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When this happens, You might want to save to a known good location (like the desktop), then use the file explorer to overwrite the \macromed\flash\mms.cfg file.  Explorer is smart enough to prompt for admin elevation rights and allow the copy to occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines