3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2013 11:07 AM by conroy

Auto Recovery Issue

studiohaideux

I have a Mac running Photoshop CS6 and Moutain Lion.  I have the auto save and auto recovery checked.  The auto recovery is set to 10 minutes.  I have now lost progress on two pieces of work as Photoshop has locked up and crashes.  I have reopened it and expected Photoshop to bring up the autorecovery.  Photoshop has never auto recovered a file.  I checked in the /private/var/folders/5v/_wq4wcgn73v2m_vmf9msxt400000gn/T/Cleanup At Startup/Photoshop Temp#### folder to see if anything is ever saved in there, and photoshop has not once saved a file in this temp directory.  Is there something wrong with the auto recover on Mac, or is there some other issue that could be causing this not to work correctly?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  This was one of the big reasons I bought CS6.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Auto Recovery Issue
          Curt Y Level 7

Not sure on a mac but on Windows machine the auto recovery file is in scratch directory.  Should be labeled PS AutoRecovery.

• 2. Re: Auto Recovery Issue
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Not a Mac expert, but there have been reports from PC users of AutoRecovery not working when the scratch disk is not the system volume.

You should experiment with the settings, and force failures by killing the Photoshop process to simulate crashes until you're confident it's autorecovering your document.  Set the interval down to minimum to aid with the testing.

-Noel

• 3. Re: Auto Recovery Issue
              conroy Level 5

studiohaideux wrote:

[...] I checked in the /private/var/folders/5v/_wq4wcgn73v2m_vmf9msxt400000gn/T/Cleanup At Startup/Photoshop Temp#### folder to see if anything is ever saved in there, and photoshop has not once saved a file in this temp directory.

No and Ps is not supposed to autosave the recovery files into that directory, as far as I know.

There is a "Scratch Disk" list of drive volumes in Ps Preferences > Performance. The list can be ordered by the user. The first enabled volume in that list when Ps is launched will contain my active auto-recovery folder.

If the boot volume is designated as primary scratch then the active auto-recovery folder is:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS6/AutoRecover

If another volume is designated as primary scratch then the active auto-recovery folder is:

/Volumes/<volume name>/PSAutoRecover/<user name>