11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 9:00 AM by the_wine_snob

Can you automate video effects?

LeonGoudikian

Is it possible in Premiere, in any version, to automate a video effect?  For example, can you start the "camera blur" effect at 100% (very blurry) and have it move smoothly to 0% (not blurry) over the course of 10 seconds? 

• 1. Re: Can you automate video effects?
          shooternz Level 6

You would use "Keyframes" to do that.

easy and effective ...and worth learning about.

Most FX have them and the Fixed Effects in the Effects Window...certainly do.

Practice with key framing Motion maybe

• 2. Re: Can you automate video effects?
            Steven L. Gotz Level 5

There is a pretty good tutorial on the subject here: http://vimeo.com/48360506

He takes you through the fixed effects, and explains the help system, then shows you how to keyframe effects. This might be the best tutorial for you out of all of the different tutorials available.

If you like the tutorial, please mark my answer as correct. That let's other people know you are content with the answer you have already been given and they won't spend a lot of time trying to explain what you already now know.

• 3. Re: Can you automate video effects?
              shooternz Level 6

If you like the tutorial, please mark my answer as correct. That let's other people know you are content with the answer you have already been given and they won't spend a lot of time trying to explain what you already now know.

Blatant thread piracy. 

Give the man some more tombstones and a MVP before he goes out of control.

• 4. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I will settle for the second tombstone. Remember, they didn't have this system when I was accumlating my 3000+ posts.

All kidding aside, I think we should tell the new people more often. The whole point of marking and answer correct is not the points, although they are fun to get, but that no additional posts are required in order to help the OP.

• 5. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The whole point of marking and answer correct is not the points

For some they are.

I rather see this correct answer thing go away.

Too often  aswers gets correct when they are not.

And dont dwell on the past.

• 6. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

I agree with you. Those "Correct," "Helpful," etc. answers are gathered by Adobe to garner corporate support for the Forums. I covered a bit of that in this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4663899#4663899

That IS a good Keyframing tutorial. Thanks.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                      Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Bill,

Nice article. That is exactly what I thought when I came back and saw it. I immediately thought it could be useful for Adobe and for the forum regulars.

However, now we have to consider what Ann said. Hmmm. Perhaps the moderators could remove the "Correct" tag if it isn't correct? That could be a problem in itself. Hmmm. I don't know. That's interesting.

• 8. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                        LeonGoudikian Level 1

Thanks very much.  I am familiar with audio editing software where it is possible to automate effects either by recording your mouse movement as it manipulates a control, or by going to a line graph and placing grab points on the graph which you can then move up,down,left right to create the graph shape that you want.  I suspect that keyframes are similar to the latter method.

• 9. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                          LeonGoudikian Level 1

Thanks for the link.  I will check it out in day or two and sure, I will mark your post as correct since you asked, if the vid speeds up my learning curve. 

• 10. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steven,

I am not sure what the MODs' feelings are on this, and it might come down to their individual preferences and their decisions.

Still, Adobe does gather info about the effectiveness of their Forums. The Forum Team (just had a change there), compiles the data, and then can use that in sessions on funding, etc., to show how well the forums help users.

That is why I try to urge posters, who have received Helpful, or Correct answers, to go back and mark the Replies, as such.

The more useful the forums can be shown to be, the greater the support for them by Adobe corporate.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Can you automate video effects?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

One can do somethings similar in After Effects via Extensions. Same for some work in Photoshop, via Actions, or Scripting.

PrPro does not do Extensions, or Scripting, yet, so do not know of a direct, automated solution. However, the Keyframe functions are very robust, and there are ways to transfer, say Keyframed Effects from one Clip, to another, or many more. There are some things to be aware of, so if one is new to Keyframing, I strongly urge them to read the Help files, as well as watch tutorials on Keyframing. Once the concept has been grasped, the rest is pretty easy, but there can be pitfalls, if one doesn't get a good mechanical foundation - the devil CAN be in the details.

Good luck,

Hunt