3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2013 10:30 AM by Bill Gehrke

Intel or AMD CPU?

adavid2

Hi I am sort of torn up between Intel and Amd cpu. Ive looked at charts and everything and I still cant decide (obviously intel is better but is it worth the money). Does anyone have any experience with AMD processors and using Adobe PPcs6 and other animation software. Is the difference worth the extra 700 that I am paying more? My workload isnt huge, just standard After Effects work and light 3d *maya, 3dmax, c4d animation work. Let me know, for my needs, which one you would recommend. Please exclude all theoretics and include experiences.

Any information is really appreciated

• 1. Re: Intel or AMD CPU?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I doubt you will find too many people with hands-on experience that can provide the info you expect. It will most likely simply come down to this: Buy whatever gives you the best bang for the buck today. It's inevitable that there will be a newer/ better processor out there tomorrow/ next week/ next month/ in half a year. For Adobe software it will be mostly irrelevant, anyway. Even if you got an 18 core Bulldozer chip, AE's multiprocessing limitations would still prevent you from exploiting its full potential...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Intel or AMD CPU?
            RjL190365 Level 4

You would not want to go AMD for the CPU: Even with the Bulldozer architecture, the "eight-core" AMD CPUs are still slower than quad-core Intel CPUs (yes, slower than even i5s) when it comes to performance in Premiere Pro CS6. This is because although the FX series CPUs support the full SSE 4.x instruction set, the SSE unit in those CPUs is weak. And forget about the Athlon and Phenom series CPUs at this point since those CPUs lack full support for the SSE 4.x instruction set.

• 3. Re: Intel or AMD CPU?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

For proof of the AMD versus Intel situation look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM5) database.  If you click on the column heading "Brand CPU" you will get all the AMD CPU's test results.  Then look at the first column and you see the ranking out of the 1169 results (today's total) and as you page down you will see that the best AMD score is indeed a 8-core 8150 FX but it is ranked 465th out the 1169 results. 

My several year old i7-2600K Sandy Bridge quad-core is much, much faster than the 8150 FX.  There is no reason why you should have to pay $700 more to beat the 8150FX.