3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2007 4:43 AM by Newsgroup_User

Access an embeded Flash properties

GlennoUK
      Hi,

We have a number of very old apps, which we dont have access to the source anymore, that have a flash component embedded in it. The shockwave app only has handlers for directly getting and setting some of the Flash's properties. We now need to access some of the other properties of this embedded flash object, that the Shockwave app is completely ignorant of.

I guess my question is, is there any way to directly access an embedded Flash Objects properties from external to its container(the shockwave app)?

Thanks in advance,
      Glenno
        • 1. Re: Access an embeded Flash properties
          Level 7
          > Is there any way to directly access an embedded Flash
          > Objects properties from external to its container(the shockwave app)?

Your question - or what you need to do - is confusing. Can you be more
          specific? What do you mean by "external to the shockwave app"? Are you
          trying to access the #flash member from JS in the HTML hosting document,
          or do you need to export the Flash member from the Director castLib, or
          ... ?
          • 2. Re: Access an embeded Flash properties
            GlennoUK Level 1
            Hi again,

Yes, I would like to know if theres any way to get and set flash variables inside an internal flash component, from the HTML hosting document.

For that matter, How would I go about getting and setting Director variables from the HTML host?

Thanks
            • 3. Re: Access an embeded Flash properties
              Level 7
              > Yes, I would like to know if theres any way to get and set flash variables
              > inside an internal flash component, from the HTML hosting document.

> For that matter, How would I go about getting and setting Director variables
              > from the HTML host?

Setting Director variables can be as simple as setting sw1 -> sw9
              parameters in your HTML. Check the docs for externalParamName() and
              associated entries. These will allow your Shockwave movies to access
              (static?) parameters you set in your HTML.
              As far as getting properties back to the HTML document from within a SW
              movie goes, try Valentin Schmidt's Director/JavaScript Integration Kit:
              http://dasdeck.de/staff/valentin/lingo/dir_js/ (which could be used in
              place of external parameters). This kit is also probably the best way to
              have the browser "communicate" with a Flash file hosted inside a SW
              movie: HTML(JS) <-> SW movie <-> Flash sprite