4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 2:18 AM by Loic.Aigon

InDesign update vs Maximum Version issue

Loic.Aigon Adobe Community Professional

Hi all,

Just to share my recent experience. I have built an extension setting InDesign CS6 as maximum version. Then Manifest is set to allow extensions for range [ 7.0 , 8.0 ]

Problem is a recent update went beyond this scope and my extension wasn't loaded within InDesign any longer. I tried not to set a maximum version but then the manifest sepecifies this range [ 7.0, -1 ] which leads to uninstallable extension.

Finally, the only way to get it working was to manually trick the manifest range with [ 7.0, 9.0 ] and run the ucf.jar utility to package the file.

Shouldn't min/max version be set with integers only ?

Best,

Loic

• 1. Re: InDesign update vs Maximum Version issue
          lomorgan Adobe Employee

Hi Loic,

I agree that this is a little confusing, you aren't the first person to run into this issue. [7.0, 8.0] translates as "every version from 7.0 inclusive to 8.0 inclusive", so 8.0.1 and 8.1 are both outwith that range and so wouldn't be supported by your extension. It would be valid to write a half open range, e.g. [7.0, 9.0), which translates as "every version from 7.0 inclusive to 9.0 exclusive", which would give you CS5-CS6 support. Unfortunately although CSXS supports that notation, Extension Builder does not. I think it instead supports ranges like [7.0, 8.99] which is essentially the same (there are unlikely to be 100+ dot releases to any of our products!), though slightly less elegant. If you're interested, the types of versions and ranges that are supported are documented in the ExtensionManifest schema.

Although this version scheme might seem overly complex at first it allows you to write extensions that only support certain point releases onwards. For example you could write an extension that relied on the "unembed images" feature added to Illustrator 16.1 and not have to worry about someone with version 16.0 installing it.

Hope that clarifies things a bit. Best wishes,

--Louis

• 2. Re: InDesign update vs Maximum Version issue

Hi Louis,

OK I understand the idea. Did I miss somthing or I can't see any way to specifiy the version other else than picking CS6 as Max version ( ie 8.0 ) and no hands on the sub version level in EB2 ( 8.2… ) ?

Best,

Loic

• 3. Re: InDesign update vs Maximum Version issue
              lomorgan Adobe Employee

Hi Loic,

It may be that the bundle manifest editor doesn't support this before 2.0. My suggestion would be to change the manifest.xml file by hand and then not to use the manifest editor (or it will overwrite your changes). The file is hidden inside the .staged-extension/CSXS directory of your project, which is hidden by default in Eclipse. You can make it visible by looking in the project explorer for the icon with the "filters" tooltip, clicking the icon, and deselecting the ".*" checkbox.

Hope that helps,

--Louis

• 4. Re: InDesign update vs Maximum Version issue

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the time taken. I will have a look at it.

Best,

Loic