4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 10:26 AM by gator soup

Desaturated images on export

CockneyFish Level 1

Helooo. I am working on some files for print, I started off with the default CMYK profile (US web coated SWOP v2). Everything looked great, my colours were bold and exactly as I wanted them. But, when I export tiffs (as my printer requested) they look very washed out and desaturated when I preview them on my computer or open them with my default image viewer. This is also true of the .PSD preview. If the same tiff file is loaded back into Photoshop the colours look great again. I have the same problem if I try other file formats too. My printer is having the same issue with my tiffs and the prints are not looking as they should.

I'm guessing that only Photoshop on my system is able to interpret the colour information properly but I know very little about colour profiles and modes. Should I have chosen this CMYK profile? Is there anything I can change or check to make the exported files more reliable?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 1. Re: Desaturated images on export
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Do you embed the profile when saving the tiffs?

Should I have chosen this CMYK profile?

Please ask your printer.

In general when editing photographs working in CMYK right away is not a great idea.

• 2. Re: Desaturated images on export
            CockneyFish Level 1

Hi, thanks for the response. I do embed the profile, just out of interest I tried a version without embedding and it looks different again... possibly more saturated but very dark. And again, loading the exported tiff back into photoshop restores all the colours correctly. I'm baffled.

It's not actually a photo I'm working on, it's graphics designed from scratch starting on a blank canvas, specifically grungy, deep reds in stripes.

I will double check with my printer, although I would like to think that the files I export from photoshop would match the source and original design. Otherwise I'm doomed from the start, regardless of whether or not the printer can deal with the profiles?

• 3. Re: Desaturated images on export
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If Photoshop displays the image correctly the suspicion seems reasonable that your »default image viewer« is not color managed.

• 4. Re: Desaturated images on export
                gator soup Level 4
                CMYK profile (US web coated SWOP v2). Everything looked...exactly as I wanted them. But, when I export tiffs (as my printer requested) they look very washed out and desaturated when I preview them on my computer

what do you mean?

Photoshop (and color managed apps should still be displaying correctly if you embedded an ICC profile)

of course, unmanaged (and half managed, Source> sRGB) applications will never display like Photoshop (Source> Monitor Profile) because they do not convert/transform colors to the monitor space

this phenomenon is easy to observe HERE

but the short answer to the question is

Edit> Convert to Profile: the profile your printer recommends

then

File> Save As your production copy (and embed the profile for good measure)

at that point Photoshop (if your monitor is correctly profiled) is the contract proof and the printer should be able to come reasonable close if he can print his own profile correctly