10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 4:48 PM by Peter Spier

Adobe support sucks

Virgule71

I called the Adobe help desk because of what I think is a bug in Indesign CS6. Because my company bought a group license, they want us to pay for their support.  Something is wrong there.

• 1. Re: Adobe support sucks
          peter minneapolis Level 4

If you can't find anything about the problem with a Google search for "InDesign bug <some descriptors of your problem or error message>" without quotes, take the names of the support techs you talk with, and demand a supervisor, because bugs should be at least listened to for free.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: Adobe support sucks
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Lots of users (and I'm not saying you are one of them), think every problem is a bug, when if fact it may be something else entirely, commonly a configuration issue on the user's system. I believe Adobe's policy is that they require a credit card number, but if it really does turn out to be a reproducible bug there will not be a charge.

On the other hand, here on the forum we like to think we're a lot better at solving problems than the the outsourced phone help, so maybe you'd like to tell us about your problem and get some free help here.

• 3. Re: Adobe support sucks
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

because bugs should be at least listened to for free.

Agreed - if it's a bug.

Many apparent "bugs" reported in the forums are user error, or user misunderstanding, or hardware/software configs, bad drivers, non-updated software, unsupported setups and so on.

The forums help weed out these other issues and identify true bugs - often with reproducible steps to help the engineers find the bug in the code.

There's an official bug report form here

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 4. Re: Adobe support sucks
                Virgule71 Level 1

Do you know anything about the Workspace resetting to the default?  Or "Display performance" not staying on High Quality Display? My keyboard shortcut resetting instead of using the ones I defined?

• 5. Re: Adobe support sucks

Please delete the autoquote when responding by email.

You problems sound more like a system specific problem than a bug -- we'd be flooded with posts about this kind of thing it there were a general problem, and we are not. Can you provide more details, including if you've updated to 8.0.1, your OS, and how you open and close Files and InDesign. This sounds a lot like ID is not closing properly and therefore is not writing the preference and workspace files, or possibly that you lack write permission on a folder.

• 6. Re: Adobe support sucks
                    Virgule71 Level 1

Peter,

I upgraded to 8.0.1 a few days ago thinking that this might correct the issue...but it did not.

I am running Mac OS X (10.7.5)

When it comes to your question about closing the app., I do it many different ways, and the result is the same...each time I get back into ID, I have to reset the Workspace, the high Quality Display, and the keyboard shortcuts.

Today, as I was trying to select one of my defined workspaces, it would keep going back to the Default.

I believe I have the required permissions.

Please, let me know if you have other suggestions.

• 7. Re: Adobe support sucks

Again, PLEASE delete your autoquote so I don't have to. It's ok to quote if it adds to the comprehension of your reply, but extra stuff just makes the forum hard to read on the web.

>"When it comes to your question about closing the app., I do it many different ways, and the result is the same"

Can you be specific? Do you actually quit ID using File > Quit or Cmd-Q? This is the kind of thing I would expect to see with a Force Quit of some sort.

• 8. Re: Adobe support sucks

As an exercise, can you, with no files open, set things as you want, then immediately just quit ID uing the menu command. Do you lose the settings when you restart?

• 9. Re: Adobe support sucks
                          AllNamesGone Level 1

I just waited 2 hours for a call back, and was a bit surprised that the technical support rep was calling from India, with a VERY thick accent. I proceeded to tell him my problem, and what he repeated back to me was nothing I had said. After about four attempts to get him to understand the nature of my problem I had to hang up, because we were getting nowhere.

I work for one of the biggest media congoomerates in the world, and have a deadline I'm doing my best to meet. This customer service rep couldn't even communicate, other than to insist on a product serial number from the "box," not understanding that my company has a license we use.

VERY frustrated.

• 10. Re: Adobe support sucks

If you'd like us to try to help you here, please start a new topic and give us full details about your OS, version of ID and what is going wrong.