1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 4, 2013 3:07 PM by Tim Kurkoski

Exporting an image sequence - more that 5 digits in filename

waskewich

I am trying to export a dpx sequence from AE CS6 to insert into a much larger sequence.  I see where I can adjust the starting frame number for my exported sequence, but it seems to be limiting me to 5 digits and the sequence I am trying to drop this piece into has a 7 digit number.  Is it possible to change this in After Effects so I can export with a 7 digit number?

• 1. Re: Exporting an image sequence - more that 5 digits in filename
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

It's possible to do this, yes, but it's not wholly intuitive.

First, unfortunately the Starting Number value in the Output Module Settings dialog is locked to a max of 5 digits. Increasing the limit is a good feature request. Please submit it:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Now for the good part: you can get the output you want by setting your comp's start frame number. You may also need to adjust the Output Name to accomodate leading zeroes in your target frame numbers.

To change your comp start frame number:

1. Open the comp.
          2. Choose Composition menu > Composition Settings.
          3. In the Start Frame field, enter the desired value for the first frame of your comp.

This field will display a timecode value by default. Since you may be thinking in integer frame numbers, it may help to change the display units to frames. Do this by choosing File > Project Settings and change the Time Display Style to Frames, then follow the above steps to set the start frame value.

If you're not exporting your entire comp, but just the work area, make sure to adjust your Start Frame value accordingly.

As long as the starting frame number contains the same number of digits as your desired output, this should work for you.

If the portion of the sequence that you wish to export will include leading zeroes, you'll need to adjust the number of digits that AE writes:

1. In the Render Queue, click the hot text for the Output To field.
          2. The default file name will display something like CompName_[#####].dpx.
          3. Add # symbols as desired. If you want seven digits, use [#######].

If you need to do this frequently, you can create a template for the output name. See:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79f4 a.html#WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79e2a

Following the above steps, your output name will include the number of digits you need.