5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 2:27 AM by Andy_Mo

Audio Channels in Timeline Keep Changing?

LeBeauStudio

I have some audio tracks, on those tracks I inserted a .wav file that has 4 channels.  I only need 2 channels. ( 1 and 2 )  I unlinked the audio and I am just using channels 1 and 2.

Channel 2 on the timeline keeps defaulting to Channel 1 - I change it and then next time I open the p[roject the audio on channel 2 goes back to channel 1.

I hope this makes sense.

This picture is what it needs to be

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 1.11.18 PM.png

This picture below is what it changes to and I have to reset the channel.

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 1.10.57 PM.png

Below is info on the audio channel

Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 2.51.08 PM.png

Im doing something wrong right?

I hope not because I have already layed in and adjusted all my audio.

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Audio Channels in Timeline Keep Changing?
          nw42 Level 2

Hi,

given:

--> source is 4 channel WAV

--> Audio mapping:

1. source channel 2 -->  mono track channel 1

Have you made a copy of the WAV in the bin to set the second audio mapping assignment?

2. source channel 1 --> mono track channel 1

So it would make sense that the audio is pointing to source channel 1 because that was the last assignment you made?

I use the channel assigment a lot for 5.1 tracks it is working fine for me.

--> Can you describe a bit more what doesn't works like expected?

• 2. Re: Audio Channels in Timeline Keep Changing?
            LeBeauStudio Level 1

Thanks for your help.  I haven't made a copy of the WAV.

In the timeline, the 4 channels are linked together. Ch1 is a LAV Mic, Ch. 2 is a Seperate LAV mic, Ch. 4 is a boom mic and there is nothing on channel 3.

So I unlinked the WAV file in the timeline and removed the audio channels that I did not need in the timeline.

Then I moved the 2 LAV mics to Audio Channels 1 and 2 on the timeline.

I think that is when I noticed that both Channels were the same... not sure - I have moved stuff around so many times.

So in the timeline, I would "right mouse click" on the audio track in the timeline and modify the audio clip by clicking on audio channels.

As a work around, I modified the LAV audio clips in the timeline to where they needed to be and did an audio mixdown of just my LAV mics.  Brought that file back into the timeline and muted the others that kept changing on me.

Does that help?  Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Audio Channels in Timeline Keep Changing?
              nw42 Level 2

Ahh - now I understand ;-)

so much channel tracks switches...

Premiere forgets what source channel to use and switches back from source channel 2 to source channel 1 after the project is reopened.

I'll do some test's here and see if I get the same problem...

• 4. Re: Audio Channels in Timeline Keep Changing?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This Adobe KB Article (and included tutorial) might be helpful for Track Mapping in PrPro CS 6: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/overview-audio-audio-mixer.html

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio Channels in Timeline Keep Changing?
                  Andy_Mo

I also have this problem. The workaround seems to be to use the Audio Effect "Fill Left" rather than the Channel Assignment method - which just reverts when the project is saved and reloaded. I still don't know why this happens - I think it's a bug.