12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2013 11:08 AM by RyanCee

After effects crashing when changing audio input

dablobfromblobania

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my Steinberg (Yamaha) ur-28m external USB audio interface/soundcard to work with After Effects CS6 for a week now. The problem is that everytime I change the audio input in the AE preferences to the Steinberg asio drivers AE freezes for a few seconds and then crashes. Same thing happens in Premiere btw.

I've tried everything possible:

- updated Steinberg drivers to newest version

- updated AE to latest version

- trashed preferences

- totally removed and installed master collection again

- formatted hd and Reinstalled windows 7 and installed Master collection again.

- tried all possibles buffer rates

Problem still there...

I looked into the events log and it mentions ntdll.dll and makes afterfx.exe crash.

Bottom line is I can't work with sound now, which is really frustrating. In other programs (non Adobe) these drivers are rock solid.

Apparantly After effects (and in my case premiere also) doesn't like Steinberg. I saw this other thread about Steinberg in After Effects: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1063355.

Doesn't look like it's been solved.

Main specs of my pc:

Intel i7-2600

16GB ram Corsair

Nvidia gtx 560 ti

Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 motherboard

Seagate 1TB (7200rpm)

Anybody some ideas? Thanks!!

• 1. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not sure why you insist on using your device... With AE at least. Considering that it only does Stereo, any crappy on-board chip will handle it. is it realyl so much trouble to plug-in a 3.5 mmm earphjone plug and wite it to whatever magical equipement you may have?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
            dablobfromblobania Level 1

Although i appreciate any kind of feedback, i sense a certain kind of sarcasm in your answer which I don't get.

From my point of view I don't understand how a super expensive and professional  software suite like After effects/ Premiere isn't able to load a *******' asio driver.

So yeah, I could plug in a crappy mini jack thingy to 'my magical equipment', as you say, but I'm not even going to explain to you why I wouldn't want that.

It's my last resort and maybe somebody had this problem before and can give me some advise I haven't thought of.

• 3. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input

Fair enough. I guess, though, since AE's ASIO support simply assumes your driver is already loaded and the driver is actualyl not, it simply fails. Undoubtedly your setup requires some magic beyond that to trigger the USB driver wrapper and then hand off to the ASIO device. Long version short: Unless there is a specific driver/ CoDec/ plug-in that may get this working, this may be a hopeless case. It's inherent in how Windows handles such stuff via its device classes...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input

I appreciate your answer. This was the kind of technical discussion I was hoping for :-)

I still think it's weird since Windows itself, Cubase, Native instruments and any other audio application I have running has no problems with detecting the Steinberg audio interface (and drivers) as standard in/output.

I've had many audio interfaces before and always used them without a problem, so it must be a 'Steinberg driver thing' in combination with after effects.

Like you said, I can always use the onboard soundcard of the mb and hook up a mini jack to somewhere. But that's where I have a problem; since I have a pair of active monitors (which only have xlr inputs) and audio I/O on an audio interface which isn't working in After effects and Premiere, there's nowhere I can hook up the mini jack to. (Hope this makes sense).

Although i hate to buy stuff I don't actually want/need I might have to buy some crappy desktop speakers. Although It's not really a solution I can't think of anything else...  Thanks again for your answer.

• 5. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input

If it works in Media Player, it's probably handled by a Direct Sound CoDec perhaps there's an option in teh CoDec itself/ Windows's multimedia settings to enable legacy support?

Mylenium

• 6. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input

No problems in media player either...i wouldn't even know where to start when it comes down to direct sound codecs and all that hahaha!

I guess I'll go with the crappy desktop speakers after all.

• 7. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I guess I'll go with the crappy desktop speakers after all.

For After Effects work, it's not that big a loss.  Most people just use the audio as a reference for timing out their video effects, and you don't need the best audio in the world to do it.  I haven't rendered out an audio track in years, even with lip-sync video.

• 8. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input

Hi Dave, i could live with after effects not recognizing my audio interface, but I consider it a big problem for Premiere though. I really want decent audio when editing. Thanks for your input though.

• 9. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
                          Rdrr Level 1

***SOLVED***

Hey I just bought a Steinberg UR-22 and had the same issue with Premiere CS6. I'd switch to UR-22 for audio playback in Audio Hardware settings with the program open and it would crash. Would crash on start up after until I unplugged usb. There must be some issue with the hand off of the ASIO driver when its enabled for windows playback and you try to route it for playback in Premiere. Tried disabing it for windows and only enabling it in premiere for playback...same crashing.

The way to get it to work is to set it as default playback device in windows and then set audio hardware playback in CS6 to Premiere Pro WDM Sound------>Click ASIO Settings------->Check Line (Steinberg  XXXX). Works Great now.

Hope this helps......Good Luck!

• 10. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
                            RyanCee

Thanks for this, looking into the UR22 for the recording interface, but don't want any trouble for playback within Premiere which is where I spend 90% of my time.

Without having it on hand to try out the solution, I have to ask; is this something you have to do everytime you start Premiere, or is it a set-it-once-and-forget-it deal?

Also, how has your experience with the UR22 been with other Adobe apps or any DAWs you've been using to support your work in Adobe software? Searches have been painfully fruitless when searching for experiences with the UR22 outside of Cubase/Sonar/DAW software. Hoping it doesn't completely suck with Audition, for instance.

thanks!

• 11. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
                              Rdrr Level 1

Basically what I did was set it as the line out for sound from windows, so

all sounds will be routed through the UR22 (Will work with any program).

You can leave it set as is to have windows sounds play out of the computer

line/speaker out and go into the sound settings in Premiere and set the

audio playback device as the UR22 (Only Premiere plays out of UR22) but

that is where i had problems. I just set all audio playback in windows to

route to the UR22 (Line Out in windows) and left settings in Premiere alone

(In Playback settings leave audio device as Adobe Desktop Audio....Premiere

routes to windows output, which i set to UR22) and everything worked fine.

I am a video editor and spend 95% of my time in Premiere and  some time in

Audition and After Effects and it has worked great.The only issue I have

had with the UR22 is that every once in a while if i leave my system on

over night rendering and playback something the next morning any audio will

sound like it is playing back too slow (Pitch shifted lower). But all you

have to do is unplug the usb and plug it back in and all is well again.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 12. Re: After effects crashing when changing audio input
                                RyanCee Level 1

Fantastic! Thanks a ton. Looking to replace my audiophile 24/96 with something I can more easily do the occasional recording with, without resorting to a mixer full of cables and tape->ctrl/mix options that I'm currently struggling with. What you describe above sounds a lot like what I already do with the 2496 (everything runs out through it, when premiere loads have it go through ASIO on the card) and that works pretty well. Looks like I'll be picking up the UR22