7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 3:31 PM by A.T. Romano

PE11 stops playing when window loses focus

ruarc88

I've run into a problem with PE11 where I absolutely cannot leave the window without the playback stopping. This is somewhat of a pain as my clips are anywhere from half an hour to 2 hours long and I'd like to be able to do other things at the same time. I have set the option to continue playback when the window loses focus (under project settings for elements) but it doesn't do what it's supposed to. Video still freezes when I leave the window. Is there a fix for this or is there just another step I'm missing? The way it's set up right now I have to change this setting every time I make a new project

• 1. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That is correct. Playback is designed to stop when you switch to another window.

However, you should be able to do other things -- like render and create outputs -- even when you have another window open.

Why would you want to play it through if you're not going to be watchig it?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
            ruarc88 Level 1

Yep. All that works as it is supposed to, but the problem is when I uncheck the option to stop playback when the window loses focus, it still stops.

I'm usually editing on one monitor and typing or browsing on another waiting for the video to say "cut it here" or "be back in a moment" so I can cut those parts out.

Just wondering if that option is broken or not and if there's a way to get it working.

• 3. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No. The program will not contine to playback when you go to another window. It's not broken. It just won't do it.

And I'm still not sure of the value of having it play through when you're not watching it -- but I assume you have your reason.

• 4. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
                Rogue Edits

I've just loaded and begun testing the trial version for Premier 11 Elements -

I found this thread while experincing the same frustration - In response the question of the value of the ability to playback while 'not watching,' many of us rely just as heavily on the audio for edit cues...

Among other things I'm editing webinars, removing redundant or superfluous sections in order to create a more concise archival product. Trimming 'ums' and stammers. Repeated phrases - sections that digress and are not critical to the topic. I can find most of these through the audio, and while listening I can be working on other things - answering emails etc.

These events run anywhere from 30 to 120 minutes -

That playback stops when I change focus is equivalent to being held hostage by the software. I've not experienced this in any others I've previously used or demoed (though I cannot say the functionality does not exist in other editing programs).

I confess, I was just about to pull the trigger and upgrade to the paid version, but not being able to multi-task while editing is probably going to be a deal breaker for me.

I have to wonder if this is an issue for any others beside ruarc88 and myself. Chime in if you end up here for the same reasons.

• 5. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This has been the same for Premiere Pro, though I understand that the new CC version will finally allow one to open other programs, and have the playback continue.

Personally, when doing an operation, like Capture, or playback, I am busy making notes on my Scene Log spreadsheet, to aid in the next editing step. Not sure what others do?

In the PrPro Forums, we got such a request about once every six mos., going back to about PrPro 1.0. Some DO like to have playback on-going, while doing other things, but not that many, that we have seen in these forums.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
                    markcohen84

I recently started using Premiere Elements (v12) and this has been one of my biggest complaints so far.

I am a newbie, so I spend a lot of time searching the forums/web for tips and tricks on how to edit my videos, so it is nice to have Premiere open/playing on one monitor while I perform other actions on another monitor.

As stated above by Rogue Edits, I too have to sit through long videos (interviews) and document what is being said, so I will listen to the audio while I multitask on my 2nd monitor; ie, translate what is being said, search the web, etc. 

I'm not sure why there is reluctance to add an option to allow playback to continue while focus has been diverted to another window (maybe to allow all the CPU resources be used by Premiere?), but I think it would be a great feature to add.  Educate the user (FAQ) that playback quality may diminish if they are multitasking in other windows, but let the user decide if they would like to enable this option in Preferences.

• 7. Re: PE11 stops playing when window loses focus
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

markcohen84

As you realize, this is not Adobe. Just user to user.

You might consider filing the Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form regarding this matter.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Thank you.

ATR