7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 2:24 PM by medjimi

InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout

medjimi

Hi, we started using InDesign CS5 ME in our Students association for our Journal, but we faced problems with English Layout pages. I explain: InDesign ME wants to put first page on the left, but we need to put it on the right because our Journal is in English. Page 2 and 3 are also misplaced: Page 2 is on the left and Page 3 is on the right. I unchecked “Allow Document Pages to Shuffle” with no success.

Can anyone help us, please.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I can't tell you how to do it because I don't have the ME version, but you need to tell ID that the document is meant to be read left-to-right.

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout
            medjimi Level 1

I Agree, but how? I told ID that the document is left to right, put the language to English, aligned the whole thing to left aligned; still have the ME (arabic) layout even in new document.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout

As I said, I don't have an ME version, so I can't do a lot for you, but WHERE did you tell ID this was a left-to-right document?

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think that there are three different questions going on here:

I Agree, but how? I told ID that the document is left to right, put the language to English, aligned the whole thing to left aligned; still have the ME (arabic) layout even in new document.

1) To affect the pagination of all new documents, make the change to LTR document with left-side binding with no documents open.

Page 2 and 3 are also misplaced: Page 2 is on the left and Page 3 is on the right. I unchecked “Allow Document Pages to Shuffle” with no success.

2) I have a gut feeling that this is because of new sections being started. Can you post a screenshot of your Pages panel?

3) I think that you may be clicking on stuff out of desperation. The language setting is a text-only setting; it does not affect pagination. When you say "aligned the whole thing to left-aligned" I am also imagining that you aligned all of the text to the left side of the text boxes, which also does not affect pagination. So when you say

I told ID that the document is left to right,

where did you tell it that? I can't remember where the spine-left or left-binding control is; I don't even remember what it was called. And the Internet is not helpful, but I can tell you that in the new Winsoft product that makes these RTL/LTR tools available in English InDesign (ScribeDOOR), it's called "right bound" and "left bound." I bet that is what you are looking for, right?

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout
                  TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To set binding preferences go to the document setup panel (file>document

setup). There are 2 icons next to where it says "binding".

Ariel

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout

Now that I've read Joel's post it struck me that on a l-t-r file page 2 SHOULD be on the left and 3 on the right, so if page 1 is on the left, you've definitely done something you shouldn't to get things mixed, and it most likely is in the page shuffling.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 ME English way Page Layout
                      medjimi Level 1

Hi and thanks to all of you for being patient with me. Arïel helped me with his answer. In fact, with ID CS5 ME, in the New Document setup there is an option to select the binding side of the document. I'm trying to insert an image that explains this option. So thanks to Peter, Joel and Arïel and greetings from Tunisia. This thread can be closed.

InDesign layout options.jpg