2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 1:30 PM by Peter Spier

Understanding graphics formats

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6be2a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Understanding graphics formats
          ElginDepot

I am just learning InDesign, but I'm pretty good in Photoshop. I want to design a form  on which we can display (on letttersize paper) our photo collection. The form will have various bits of information and, most importantly, the photo.

Is it possible to display the photo (usually smaller than the actual photo) such that I can link to the original at its 300 resolution in its original location in order to print it out for patrons.?

In general, how do you deal with resolution in InDesign?

• 2. Re:  Understanding graphics formats
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The resolution in Photoshop is only "real" if you print at the dimensions the file was saved. When you put your photos into ID (File > Place....) they will have an "effective" resolution based on the pixel dimensions and the physical dimensions you've chosen to use for them. Scaling your images in ID will change the effective resolution in inverse ration to the scale factor, so if you reduce the image in ID the resolution will actually increase.

You can see the "Actual" (what you specified when saving in Photoshop) and "Effective" (the resolution at which the image will print unless downsampled during export to PDF) resolutions for any raster image by selecting it and checking the Info panel or link information in the Links panel. The only number that matters for print is the effective resolution, and what that should be depends on the printing method, the viewing distance, and to some extent on the image content.