7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 4:43 PM by stephenh44161733

Slight overclock or more RAM?

stephenh44161733 Level 1

Hi all,

I'm going to order a new workstation and wondered whether to go for a 15% over clock on an i7 3930K?

The overclocking would be helpful but means only using 4 instead of 8 RAM slots.

I'm working on super high res projects sometimes nearly 10k wide (5 x HD projectors)  using 64 bit After Effects CS5, and win 7 Pro.

Adobe recommend at least 24gb RAM for 1 x HD projects I think.

So the more RAM the better, especially useful for background rendering too I think.

So a 15% overclock and 4 x 8GB RAM or no OC and 8 x 8 GB RAM?

I can't afford to go any higher on the CPU.

Regarding graphics card, I'm thinking a GTX 660 will help speed things up a bit without breaking the bank.

And would a solid state drive for the OS make much difference using After Effects?

Thanks in advance for wisdom shared

S

• 1. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds to me like you are talking to the wrong people on this build.  If you want real experts on building video editing machines go talk to Eric at ADK and I am sure he can overclock with 64 GB of RAM on that CPU.

• 2. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The overclocking would be helpful but means only using 4 instead of 8 RAM slots

Where did you get that info? If you go to http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php you will see many overclocked i7-3930K systems with the full complement of 8 DIMM slots filled. In fact there are now 12 overclocked i7-3930K systems with 64 GB memory.

• 3. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
              stephenh44161733 Level 1

Thanks for the info guys. The supplier here in UK only offers warranty on O Clocked systems that use 4 of the 8 slots.

I'd rather not build it myself.

I'll get back to them and point them to this link

http://ppbm5.com/DB-PPBM5-2.php

great info on there, thanks Harm

S

• 4. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is evident that that supplier does not know what they are doing.  Since you are in the UK email ADK and see if they can recommend a qualified suppier there.

• 5. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
                  qzyxya654

Overclocking costs money? Since when. Just OC it yourself

• 6. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Overclocking costs money? Since when. Just OC it yourself

That's because the vendor does not want to be held liable for any actions of the user. If the vendor determined that it is user overclocked, the vendor will deny all warranty claims for that PC and will force the owner to pay the full replacement cost (or worse, the full MSRP/ERP) plus all labor costs of any parts damaged by such overclocking. In other words, the entire system warranty is permanently voided by the user's actions.

What made this an even poorer deal is that the vendor will only warranty systems that it ships in an already overclocked state (as set by its own builders and configurators) - and that it only factory-overclocks systems that have only one DIMM per memory controller channel.

In that case, the OP should find himself or herself another vendor.

• 7. Re: Slight overclock or more RAM?
                      stephenh44161733 Level 1

Thanks for the advice everyone.

The vendor is Overclockers (am I allowed to say that on here?). I got my last workstation from them and its been brilliant, very stable. It also only used half the RAM slots though.

If they would rather not guarantee a system that is O clocked and uses all RAM slots, it kind of makes me think statistically it is more likely to go wrong if you do so. They sell an awful lot of these systems and have been doing it a long time.

So even if there is only a slight increase in fail rate, I'd rather not do it.

I could always get 32gb RAM, (4x8) then get 64gb next year when the price drops on the 16gb sticks

In the meantime I'll email ADK, thanks Bill

S