16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 5:40 AM by Steve Grisetti

Unable to import video files to Organizer

wsquared100658

I installed Premiere Elements, Photoshop Elements, and Organizer as a bundle. I purchased Adobe Classroom in a Book for Premiere Elements and copied the chapter video files to my hard drive.

When I started in on the first chapter, it has me open Organizer and basically import the video files in to Organizer. When I go through the process it doesn't seem to recognize the mp4 files within the Organizer/PE environment. Additionally it seems to pre-assume that I am launching Photoshop Elements as several still image oriented selections appear as settings in the window. Such things as redeye correction. It also defaults to the Pictures folder that is resident to the windows file structure. When I drill down to the folder I created and moved the mp4 files to it seems to not recognize the file type. When I check with windows explorer, the files do exist and play. they show as mp4 files.

When I use Organizer and go to the DVD the files are viewable.

Why isn't Organizer recognizing these files on the hard drive when they do exist and the format seems to be okay as they are seen by Organizer on the DVD and by explorer in windows.

• 1. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know anything about Classroom in a Book, but it could be that you don't have the necessary components installed.

First, make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirement.

Then open Premiere Elements 11, import one of those files into it and place the clip on your timeline. This should trigger Premiere Elements to download the necessary components.

This may not work on a Mac, however. The Organizer on the Mac version may not display thumbnails for all file types.

• 2. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
            wsquared100658 Level 1

I updated quicktime and made it the default app for video but it didnt help things. Still doesn't see the files in the PE 11 environment. It does play the files in qt from both the DVD and the hard drive location via explorer. Just doesn't see them in elements. Odd since this is an Adobe product. (Classroom in a Book)

• 3. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer

Are you saying that you can't import a file included with the Classroom in the Book into a Premiere Elements project?

I'd say you definitely need to contact Adobe, since they created the file.

• 4. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                wsquared100658 Level 1

That is semi-correct. They import from the DVD direct, but the Classroom in a book tells me to put them in a file on the computer hard drive which I did. It won't pull from the hard drive file. The files are good, as they both play in Quicktime and Windows Media Player from the file location.

Within PE 11, as I drill down to the individual files, of which there are 12 files, it gets to what should be the final folder it says the folder is empty.

It isn't empty as Quicktime and Windows Explorer and Windows Media Player can all access and play the files.

This seems to reside completely within what looks like Adobe's File Explorer. It WILL find the files on the DVD.

Adobe doesn't appear to make it very easy to contact them directly.

• 5. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

When one Copies files from many CD's, and most DVD's, the files come over as Read Only in their attributes.

Check a couple of those CiaB files, to make sure that they are NOT set to Read Only in their attributes. If so, then change that attribute for all on your HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                    wsquared100658 Level 1

Definitely not a read only problem. I can view the copied files and they run as video in both Quicktime and Windows Media Player. Strictly internal to PE 11 Organizer. The CiaB tells me to copy and move the files right from the start.

• 7. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are on Windows, go to Windows Explorer, and Rt-click on one of those files. From the drop-down menu, choose Attributes, as let us know what is checked, please.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                        wsquared100658 Level 1

Nothing is checked. Read only and hidden are both unchecked.

• 9. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that blows that theory. Thanks for reporting.

I do not know what is getting in the way with those files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer

This is the single most perplexing point in your whole discussion, wsquared -- and it does seem to indicate some sort of operator error on your part:

"They import from the DVD direct, but the Classroom in a book tells me to put them in a file on the computer hard drive which I did. It won't pull from the hard drive file. "

This means that there is nothing wrong with the files and it means that the program is able to read them. There is something is going on between your reading them on the disc and your reading them from your hard drive that's going wrong.

• 11. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                              wsquared100658 Level 1

Well, I'd have to disagree with your assessment since I can read them just fine in the stand-alone Quicktime player and the stand-alone Windows Media Player, from the file located on the hard drive. The only thing that won't read them is PE 11. It shows an empty folder, while all the others show files which they then proceed to play.

I just did a right click on the folder on the CiaB DVD, created a folder on the C drive and pasted in that folder. If windows explorer can see the files, The stand-alone Quicktime and Windows Media players can both access the files and play them, but PE 11 Organizer can't and shows the folder as empty, that says it is PE 11 that is the problem.

• 12. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer

Except if that were the case we'd be seeing posts from thousands of people with the very same problem.

I mean, it would be one thing if you said you couldn't play the files or your couldn't see thumbnail images -- but you say you can't see them at all!

How are you adding the files from this folder to the Organizer's Media Browser? What exact steps are you using?

Can you think of any reason at all that you can see the files when they're on your DVD but you can't see them on your hard drive? That just doesn't make sense.

• 13. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                                  wsquared100658 Level 1

"but you say you can't see them at all!"

Actually, what I say is that I can't see them in Organizer. I can see them everywhere else just fine. Quicktime plays them, as does Windows Media Player. The only application that can't see them is Organizer.

WMP & QT Play fine = Files Good AND file transfer was good.

Problem resides in Organizer. Could it be a setting not right. Sure. That is why I set them all to default. That is why I asked the question.

Since Organizer can see the files just fine on the DVD, the problem is in the transfer, but it is also Organizer based, in that two of the mot maintream movie apps out there, QT and WMP, have no problem accessing or playing the COPIED files

• 14. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer

PLEASE tell us the exact steps you are using to add these files on your hard drive to your Organizer's Media Browser.

• 15. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer
                                      wsquared100658 Level 1

Created sub-Folder under Videos folder in Explorer titled Adobe Premiere Lessons

Dill down to Lessons on DVD. Right click on Lesson , select Copy

Open Widows Explorer . Double Click on Videos folder to open-->Right Click on Adobe Premiere Lessons folder, select Paste

Took a while to copy all files, Video 1 - 12

Pretty straightforward.

After file transfer was complete I double-clicked on Video 1 to confirm file was good. Opened in WMP

Went back to CiaB and did what it instructed which was basically Open File and then select Get Photos & Videos-->From Files or Folders

Navigated to Videos folder & drilled down to Adobe Premiere Lessons then Lesson 1 which shows an icon that says MP4, which I click on then nothing.

Hadn't looked through other folders until now, appears to have copied rest of folders and files correctly. Just not Lesson 1 files.

• 16. Re: Unable to import video files to Organizer

I'm just not sure what is going on. But there is just no reason this should not work. From what you've told us, it's certainly not something wrong with the program.

Sorry I can't offer more help.