2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 9:45 AM by Peter Spier

5 x 8 Book Template Layout

cbdunn70

New to InDesign... Framemaker and Illustrator experience. I'm working on CS6, Windows.

I need to set up a "mini" book template. Just a landscape 8.5 x 11 page folded. One cover page and then open the fold to the content... Almost like a greeting card. It will only be two pages plus cover.

QUESTION: How would I set up this template?

Should I set up the template with 8.5 x 11 pages, landscape -- with the text frames I want in a facing page layout and fold marks?

or,

Should I set-up individicual pages to my finished page size 5.5 x 8 (Portrait)?

If the latter, how does this work with printing and folding? Print 2 to a page on landscape, letter?

What's the best practice for this short book?

Thanks!

Chris

• 1. Re: 5 x 8 Book Template Layout
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

I would choose the latter: Setup a d 3 or 4 page document sized to 5.5 x8 with facing pages on. When you visit the print dialog box you can turn on print spreads and you can turn on printers marks. Also under the File menu is Print Booklet, for printing impositions, if you need to. In the pages panel, you can add Numbering and Section Options in order to build a 4 page imposed in the sequence of 4, 1 and 2-3. Read about such things in the Help file at length.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 5 x 8 Book Template Layout
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In general I agree with Michael, but it's unlikely you'd ever want a 3-page file. Stitched books need to be in multiples of 4, and all sheets have two sides, so unless you are printing on a desktop printer or copier and building a book-block of some sort (which is not what you've described), you need to have an even number of pages, and most likely some multiple of 4, 8, 12 or 16 in the finished file.

As far as printing, are you proofing, or printing the final output for binding, and if the latter, are you doing it in house? For proofing you can print spreads, but they won't fold to a readable booklet. For that you need to use Print Booklet, but you should not impose a file that is going out for commercial printing. Just send the PDF with single pages in consecutive order.